iVillage Member
GAD and Lexipro and alcohol
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 1:23pm

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed w/ GAD, no depression,

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 3:03am

I know people who continue to drink while taking SSRIs and seem to do okay with it. While it's not recommended that you use alcohol when taking these medications, the occasional indulgence seems to be alright. My doctor told me to limit myself to 1-2 drinks. I've actually given up alcohol all together, though, because I don't react well to it on medication. One drink will make me really drunk, really fast. I also lose coordination and just get fuzzy headed. Not fun.

Aside from that, I also find that that "buzzed" feeling mimics the beginning of a panic attack for me, which can trigger an attack. It's just easier all around for me to avoid alcohol.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 5:22am

Hi, I have been diagnosed with GAD/panic attacks, co-depression. I took Lexapro for a number of years, and while I did not drink often, I had no issue with a couple of alcoholic drinks on an infrequent basis. I would not recommend drinking to excess in one sitting at any time, obviously; however, one or two spaced out in social settings was never a problem for me. I came off of Lexapro because I was trying to conceive and switched to Wellbutrin/Buspar.

DO NOT cold turkey off of Lexapro. You have to slowly taper off of it under the doctors care. I cold turkey stopped Lexapro because I ran out of my month's Rx and I didn't want to refill it to taper. It really messed me up for a bit. Trust me, I experienced it, and it was bad. You have to wean off Lexapro if you choose to stop it at some point.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 10:41am

Thanks for both of your feedbacks (is that grammatically correct?). Any info is good to have. I'll remember your advice re: weaning off of Lexapro. I'm 44, work f/t, have 3 kids under the age of 10, husband travels a lot for his job & over the past year, I started feeling more anxious than I ever have in my life. Normally, I'm pretty laid back. But the symptoms I had confused me and a good friend persuaded me to see my Dr (whom I love!). I was experiencing frequent numbness of my face, heart palpitations/flip flopping, not sleeping thru the night and CONSTANT fretting over my to do lists....are my kids ok, did i forget to pack something, is my husband ok (health issues), my boss's wild mood swings were annoying....basically forgetting how to enjoy life vs. worrying about what ball I was going to drop (ended up being me). And than

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 5:33pm
Hi & welcome to our caring community! This hasn't been an issue for me since I don't drink. However, none of the literature advises SSRI's are safe w/alcohol use. It's a cautionary tale when one reads about the accidental overdose of someone on prescribed medication who was drinking in addition. Everyone is affected by this combination differently & noone can say how much is too much or how little is safe. It seems counterproductive to take medications for an expected result, then introduce alcohol & cancel out the effect.
Alcohol is known to cause anxiety & lead to panic attacks. Many have reported that effect to our board. Please be safe. We DO care about you. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:25pm
Alcohol must affect people with anxiety problems differently. My Mom suffered from anxiety/pa problems. She self medicated with alcohol. The only time she was happy was when she was drinking.

BOOP

Three grand essentials to life are...something to do