Phobias wtheck?

iVillage Member
Phobias wtheck?
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 4:08pm

I have an intense disdain of , man, I get ill even typing the word... fish. There I said it. GOD. I hate it. Typing this makes the worse and grossest images come to mind. So this might be choppy as I am trying to type this while occupying my mind with random other thoughts.

I don't get it though, I know its absurd, but I can't stand the thought or image. I close my eyes if it is on TV or movies and my husband or kid tells me when it's over. I can make ___sticks for my kid with no problem, though even the word still icks me out just by what it conjurs in my head.

I had some icky experiences as a child with this, nothing horrifying, just really stuck in my head.

I have absolutely no problem with bugs or spiders, I mean, I get the "gah ew get it off", but I don't panic over it.

I sit with my back to a tank if there is one in a doctors office. It's odd, because as a younger child, I watched my grandmothers 50 gallon tank and helped her clean it. gag gag and I have to think about anything else to keep from rubbing my arms to get the "feeling off of me".

Anyone else have an issue like this?

iVillage Member
In reply to: xyro
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 6:17pm
Hi! I bumped up an article on fear vs. phobia. I have many fears. So many that if I sat down & made a list it would take me days. Yet, I make it through life ok. I still manage, though I am uncomfortable.
I have always felt that phobias were ppl, places or things that caused a person such fear & avoidance that they simply were non-fuctioning & couldn't make it through life. Sort of shutdown mode when faced w/the p,p or t.
Once again, there is therapy to help us live more comfortably when these issues arise. Have you watched The OCD Project on VH1? A noted doctor is using exposure therapy & habituation for those w/obssessive fears & compulsions. It's interesting to see the methods. Though it's graphic & may be triggering for some of us.
I hope you'll consider seeking help. You deserve a better life. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 6:32pm

There was a time when I did!!! It was so strange. I think it happened to me when we drove past a chicken restaurant that had a rotisserie in the window. I don't know what happened but for like 2 years I could not stand the look, smell or the word chicken. Especially one Wendy's commercial.

Then as quickly as it came on, it went away.....

So strange I could never figure it out. But it was an intense, vial, physical dislike anything chicken. Not the animal though, just as a food.

Weird?

Wish I had help, but I don't.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 8:00pm
Thanks for your responses, and thanks for the info thread bump!