just a thought...can it? Confused....

iVillage Member
just a thought...can it? Confused....
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 10:49pm

Hi...

I was looking into something and saw this site in regards to anxiety and I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of it. I'm pretty new with all of this, and it seems interesting and was wondering if this can be true? Here is the website:

http://www.selfhelpzone.com/anxiety-panic/unleashing-the-child-inside-you-in-how-to-dispose-of-anxiety-and-panic/

This is my first time hearing about this...has anyone else heard of this before? If so, can it be dealt with? Just confused....

Thanks...

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 12:32am

It's not uncommon for anxiety sufferers to realize that events from our childhoods have affected how we cope with life as adults. What that link seems to be talking about is focusing on your inner child. It's a therapy technique that can be affective for some people. It's not as if it's an easy, one shot deal solution to anxiety, though. Inner child work is more often about learning how to comfort and support ourselves, focusing on the struggles we went through in childhood.

Here's a link that explains a little more.

http://www.aest.org.uk/innerchild/what-is-innerchild-therapy.php

Do you have a therapist that you are currently seeing? They would be able to help you explore this line of self examination.

Take care,
Jess

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 9:24am

Interesting...has anyone ever went through it? If so, was it painful?

Anyway, thanks...

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 10:31am

John Bradshaw wrote a book titled "Homecoming" which is about championing your inner child. I think the book is almost 20 years old, but probably still relevant. It is interesting, but I think the outcome depends on lots of things. Some people have memories that are very tightly locked up, and ultimately you have to learn to deal with the sensations you experience now- if that makes sense.

Part of my CBT was to learn to just sit with the anxiety and not try to out-think it. My compulsion was always to begin to worry when the anxiety set in-- i.e. assigning some perceived problem to the sensation and then trying to overcome it all by mentally resolving the chosen worry de jour.

When I finally learned to stop feeding the beast (over thinking/worrying) and just feel the physical sensations that the anxiety brought, I started to have a lot more flashbacks to childhood traumas and how they ultimately affected me. My theory is that because I felt so out of control as a child, I learned the compulsion of worrying followed by problem solving, as a means of feeling like I had some control. The memories came in a new perspective once I learned not to over think, and it has been healing, but I could not have achieved that level of healing until learning to control the immediate anxiety by just sitting with it and letting thoughts come and go without judgment. I hope that makes sense. There's an inner kid that needs to be repaired, but there is also an anxious adult in the here and now to deal with.

If you think inner child work might help you, I'd recommend the Bradshaw book, the library might even have it- I believe it was a best seller.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 12:26pm

Oh yeah I tried the inner-child thing. There was one therapist who even had me write with my left hand to help bring that child out of me. In my experience the more I tried to reach back into my childhood the more difficult life today had become.

Plus, I sometimes have hormone triggered panic attacks. Meaning, sometimes the body will produce adrenalin simply due to chemical change in the body, no outside stimuli to examine. But before I realized this I spent a great deal of time trying to think what could be causing the attack, creating more anxiety w/in me than if I had simply just let the attack run its course through my body.

I personally say forget the reason why, instead learn to how accept the panic and let it dwindle and die w/o 'feeding' it.

There is this video on wellness coaching. There is no dialog, simply stick figures communicating w/each other. The client is seeking help due to a knot in his road. I expected the coach to show him how to fix the knot, but instead, the reason why I like the video, the coach teaches him (using tools from a toolbox) how to go over the knot & continue on with life.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post youtube here or not. I got in trouble once for linking to a blog so I've already had my iVillage warning. So if you want to watch copy & paste this URL:
youtube.com/watch?v=UY75MQte4RU&feature=player_embedded

So, in my experience, releasing the inner-child makes life much more difficult than life needs to be. Learning to live today makes the most sense to me.

I hope you find the path that works best for you.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 4:21pm
Everyone is a work in progress(as I see it) when it comes to dealing w/anxiety & panic. Everyone finds the road that suits them best. I have had therapy(not inner child) & have learned some fascinating & painful things about myself. Unfortunately, when my anxiety & panic were @ it's worst, I was non-functional. There was no time to delve into the deep, dark recesses of my mind to return to functioning mode.
If you feel this is a therapy that will help, then give it a shot. We'll support you no matter what method you choose. Many years ago, we had a member who was able to bring her panic attacks under control w/tic-tacs. The candy never worked for me, but it wasn't harmful & it worked for her. That is great news for all of us. It gives us hope & we're pleased that a fellow sufferer is able to live more comfortably. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

gem21uk