Fear Help???

iVillage Member
Fear Help???
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 12:59am

Hi,

I have signed up with Mary kay Cosmetics which I love. However, Im struggling to get leads. I have started out with family and friends but the are not supportive. So this leaves me to get clients on my own. I am scared, I am going to get arrested for soliciting at a company. Like a hospital or store like Kmart, Kohls, target, etc... I also, dont think that Im scared of rejection. I have been rejected by family and friends on mary kay cosmetics and I just walk and try to figure out how to get leads. Im not sure what to do to overcome my fear of getting arrested or if there is something else that might be holding me back?!?!? Don't know. I think about going to my neighbors how and that makes me nervous. I mean nervous. I guess because I have never spoke with my neighors and I have been living here for 20 years. before when I was a teenager, I would know and talk to everyone on my block. So it's in my blood. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, advice, would be great!

Thanks,
Crystal

Crystal
iVillage Member
In reply to: crystalmsc
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 3:01am

Crystal,
I can understand the kind of fear you are referring to. Not a fear of rejection, but a nervousness about making the approach and soliciting a sale. I think the first thing you need to do is research the solicitation policies in your town. As long as there isn't a ban on door to door solicitation, you be alright. Your local police department should be able to answer all of those questions for you.

The next thing you should do it work on your presentation. Think about how you want to present yourself to those you are approaching and plan your appearance and your words accordingly. Are you all business and super professional? Wear a suit and plan a structured sales pitch. Are you more laid back? Wear khakis and a cute top and be more conversational, while making sure to hit your main talking point. You get the idea. Whatever route you decide to go, practice your pitch in the mirror, saying it all out loud. You'll catch any awkwardness that way. After you feel like you've prepared, all you can do it take the plunge and start doing it. It'll be scary. You'll probably sweat and maybe stumble over your words a time a two. That's to be expected. Practice makes perfect, though, and in no time, you'll find your confidence growing. It'll just take getting out there and doing it a time or ten to realize that the anticipation of getting started is a lot worse than the actual doing. Direct sales is like that.

As for approaching your neighbors, if it were me, I'd bake some cookies and knock on the door with a ready comment about how it's time you got know one another a little. Of course, that'll only work if you're genuinely interested in getting to know your neighbors. If not, I'd just stick to the direct door to door sales approach. If you're only interest in their business and not their friendship or even acquaintance-ship, then don't pretend differently. They'll know and resent you for it.

Good luck!!

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 11:53am
Hi, Chrystal! Welcome to our supportive community. That's quite a challenge you have taken on & I commend you for it. To overcome fears, we have to face them by exposing ourselves to what makes us uncomfortable. We learn to cope in the situation by methods that make us feel comfortable. Perhaps belly breathing, progressive relaxation, repeating positive affirmations, etc. There are many techniques in our *coping tips & tricks* folder below.
I have more fears than I can shake a stick @;) Over time, I have faced them again & again & though I will always have a bit of self-doubt, I remind myself that I have done it before & I will be ok.
Like Jess, get that presentation down pat. Imagine the image you want to project(confident, informed, faith in your products, etc.) & practice by watching yourself in the mirror.
Anxiety is a sneaky thing. It can become irrational. You won't be arrested unless you break the law. So don't break the law. You won't break the law. You haven't broken the law. I know that sounds simple, but it's the truth. Anxiety & fear are part of our need to protect our ego. Anxiety plays on the fears we have in our subconscious. @ some level, you have developed a fear of being arrested from your experiences in life. Keep your thoughts in the present. Think positively.
As for leads, my Mary Kay rep sends me emails. Can you get email lists anywhere on the web for prospective customers? Does your contract w/Mary Kay allow you to advertise in the newspaper? Can you hold some home parties? Perhaps invite your neighbors? Does Mary Kay have training sessions for new reps? Can you talk to other reps to get their tried & true advice?
I wish you the best of luck. Keep in touch. GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 1:13pm

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reply. I feel better about the whole thing. Thank you. I will take baby steps to accomplishing my fear. I will start out by going to a neighbors house.

Crystal

Crystal
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 1:25pm

Hi Jess,

I really like your idea on rehearsing first. Thats great. I will do that. I am more interested in building relationships with people. That's very important to me. I enjoy helping others feel good about themselves and by teaching them good tips for success. I have once held a skin care class with mary kay cosmetics. How I got the clients was getting friends and family and telling them they dont have buy. Well that worked!!!! But having the chance to teach, and share, I had a blast. No nerves was getting to me. However, looking at it on the other side of the coin, I do need to make money to live. So it does go both ways. Thank you again.

Crystal

Crystal