New Here

iVillage Member
New Here
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 9:48am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. I've had anxiety off and on for the last nine years. It got better for a few years, and lately (for the past year) It seems to have come back. I'm having a hard time controlling it.

I've give you some examples: I have a fear of catching viruses, so I am constantly sanitizing my hands/or washing them. If someone is sick and they come near me I have this horrible uneasiness that consumes me, and i'll obsess over whether or not i'm getting sick for a few days.

Yesterday I went to the doctors (family doc) because i've neveer got a blood test before he recommended that I get one. I told him i was terrified that he would tell me i was dying when the results came in. He kindly reassured me that I was healthy...but people always seem to be reasurring me...

Nothing anyone says makes me feel better...i'm always panicky! Some days i'm a lot less affected by all this, but then there's other days where it's pretty bad.

I hate feeling this way! I've been to a psychologist before, and she gave me deep breathing techniques. What do you guys suggest I do? and Is there anything I can try to do that will help me break out of this phobia I have?

iVillage Member
In reply to: rasberry2008
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 11:51am

Has you life on a day to day basis changed about a year ago? Changes you did not expect, or less time in your schedule or even your eating or sleeping habits?

I find when my anxiety comes back there is usually a back-door trigger. I guess it can be looked at as a sign to slow down.

The fear of virus sort of makes sense this year. The media has hit it hard with the various flu's and you can barely enter a building w/o hand sanitizer there.

I hate to say this, but I believe marketers rely on fear. It's what get's us out to buy all those sanitizing products, protective wear, etc. Which is really sort of ironic b/c it is all these products, the energy consumed to create & the chemicals we're constantly being introduced to is what's breaking down our immune systems.

So, your fear is not unwarranted. It's being blasted toward us from every turn we make.

But why is it higher than usual? Who knows exactly, but it might be time to stop & look at your daily habits. Are you using those deep breathing techniques? Are you taking care of you? Eating & drinking right? Taking time to slow down in the day and enjoy what you're doing at the present moment? Are you getting any exercise? Is there anything you can do that is simply for you? Even sitting down & having a cup of herbal tea with some calm music for a few minutes can do wonders.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 2:39am

Welcome to the board! It's hard to say why your anxiety is higher now than before. I tend to think that it's often less about what's causing it and more about how we deal with it. There are a myriad of techniques you can use to manage your anxiety. You'll find a lot of them listed in the Tips and Tricks section of the board, found below the discussion section.

If the anxiety is affecting your daily life in a way that is unmanageable or unbearable, it may be time to seek some help again. The best strategy for treating anxiety is a combination of medication and therapy. The medication can help restore the balance of chemicals in your body that affect anxiety levels. This can make a huge difference in your daily anxiety and panic levels. Your psychologist or your family care doctor can help you determine which medication is best for you. Cognitive behavioral therapy is the best kind of therapy for treating anxiety and panic, so I would try to find a therapist who specializes in it. In this kind of therapy, you'll learn tools you can use to retrain yourself in how you think about your anxiety and your anxiety triggers. I've done this kind of therapy myself and can attest to its usefulness.

In the mean time, please know that you are not alone. You can regain control of your anxiety and we're always here for whatever support you need.

Good luck and God bless!

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 12:36pm
Hi & welcome! You are not alone. Many of us have suffered w/anxiety related to health concerns. My focus is my heart. After many years, through meds & therapy, I am able to cope better. I tell myself that my heart is healthy & I am living the best I can to stay healthy. Belly breathing, relaxation, imagery, meditation, yoga, etc. can all be used to get through difficult times. As the others told you, getting a routine in life of adequate sleep & exercise will promote balance. As does eating well, drinking plenty of fluids(research has shown that anxious folks are on the dehydrated side) limiting or cutting out alcohol, tobacco, meds that can produce anxiety, ie cold meds, marijuana, caffeine & other things that may personally trigger. Some ppl say too much sugar in their diet makes them anxious. You will know what makes you feel best. De-stressing helps a lot. Though there may not be one huge event that caused your anxiety to return, it may be a cumulative effect of small stressors over a period of time. That is what throws me the quickest. I was certain I was coping ok, then...BOOM! I am struck w/the racing thoughts & health concerns for what seems to be no reason @ all. Drop what stress you can & make time for yourself.
If seeing the psychologist before helped, then why not try it again? Through the years, I have had to have some tune-ups w/a therapist. It is ok to ask for help. Anxiety is a real illness & requires real treatment so we can live the best we can.
Please keep us posted. We care. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan