I finally diagnosed myself

iVillage Member
I finally diagnosed myself
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 12:51pm
I have had panic disorder w/agoraphobia & OCD for over 40 years. I know that sometimes my obsessive thinking causes me to panic. My thoughts focus on health fears. Usually my heart & often dying): I watched the new episode of Obsessed on A&E Mon. night. There was a woman who looked up illnesses on the web constantly. She had an unimaginable fear of illness, hospitals, etc. She took her own blood pressure 30 times a day. (I used to be a pulse checker;) Anyhoo...they called her form of anxiety Pure-O. If you get a chance, give it a google.
I can't post the links here, but I can post the government site for OCD(although it doesn't refer to Pure-O) http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/when-unwanted-thoughts-take-over-obsessive-compulsive-disorder/index.shtml Anyhoo... though my anxiety has spiked recently, I have been able to cope pretty well for about 8 years. In the past, when I had some awful spells, I am positive I had Pure-O. Funny, that noone ever told me that. Hmm... (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 6:45pm

Wow, Jan. I think you may have just diagnosed me too. It sounds so very much like what I go through when I'm having acute anxiety. It's almost always triggered and exacerbated by intrusive thoughts. I'll have to bring this up with my T.

Thanks sharing!

Jess

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 12:07am

Jan,

I didn't see this show but I am with ya!! I diagnosed myself in April when I couldn't turn off my brain about my health. I told

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 12:08pm

Jan,

Sorry to hear your anxiety has spiked. You've had a lot to deal with. It's amazing it's taken this long. Maybe you need a vacation? Take some time away from work & family. Even if it's a 2-day retreat in a cabin somewhere.

----

Now before the TV show I would have never thought of anxiety being OCD. (I didn't see this episode though.) But after seeing the definition of OCD at the start of the show is when I realized they were the same thing, which I thought strange b/c I didn't have visual symptoms of OCD.

Now reading wikipedia definition of Pure-O, I am thinking it means OCD w/o visible signs of OCD ... which I think basically means, all anxiety sufferers, doesn't it?

I'll go watch the episode from On Demand, maybe thing I'll understand it better.

----

I've only been told I have anxiety. No doc or therapist has seem interested to give me a type of anxiety. I wonder, does a type really matter anyway? Aren't they're all treated the same way?

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 1:16pm
I'm w/you when the treatment is the same. I guess it's a game of semantics. What was different for me, when I read about the Pure-O, is what a psychiatrist told me years ago. I certainly was depressed & had thoughts of suicide. However, the thoughts became an obsession. The dr. told me @ the time, that they were *intrusive* thoughts. I didn't think so, but now I can see where they might have been. Many ppl w/depression have thoughts of suicide. They might not have OCD.
So...(& I'm sure it doesn't really matter;) but instead of my panic disorder diagnosis being first, should my OCD be listed first & the panic is in addition too? Oh my... I am thinking waaaay too much.
The anxiety is high, Bonnie. My mom had another congestive heart episode, though she's ok. A friend that I went to school w/from K-12, passed away. It was pancreatic ca & we knew it was coming, but you're never ready. The family came into town & I did all the things I had to do): My dd is driving me insane & everyday I tell myself that I'm allowing it. I started back on the buspar & so far no side effects. Is it covering the anxiety? Not yet. The thoughts are racing & that crazy *inner motor* has started again. I feel as if my insides are shaking all the time. Last night I slept better than I had in weeks. To get through the anxiety, I have walked miles. I just take off & walk forever! You would think I'd be running on empty by now. Not so! Reminding myself to breathe every hour helps too. Though last evening, I focused too much & began to panic because I thought I couldn't catch my breath. This is so disgusting): But, as I always say, I will make it because I have too! GL & GBU! Thx for your concern. (((hugs))) jan
PS I saw the dr. last week for a check-up & we covered all my anxieties. As I was leaving, he said, you know from time to time, your brain tumor is sure to come back;) OMG! I almost died laughing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 2:27pm

(((Jan))) I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time right now. I know you know how to take care of yourself, but know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. There were too many 'knows' in that last sentence. Anyway, take care and let us know how you're doing.

Jess

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 5:44pm
Thanks, Jess. *Know* can be a great word. I KNOW that you KNOW how I feel, as do so many others on this board. Knowing that makes me feel so much better. (((hugs))) jan