Just Need To Vent

iVillage Member
Just Need To Vent
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 6:42am

I think I have introduced myself already, but it was a little bit ago. My name is Jen(36) and I am married and live in Washington State. I have been dealing with anxiety issue going on 5 or 6 months now. I was going to a local free clinic because I didn't have any medical insurance and they weren't doing anything to help me out. So I finally said I had to see a regular doc even if I had to pay an arm and a leg. So I got into a regular family practice type doc.

Anne
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 3:54pm

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time right now. Getting medications right can be a tricky thing. It's not unusual to have to try a couple before you find one that really works for you. I was a little surprised to hear that your doctor had prescribed Valium for your anxiety. It's what they used to use as a "nerve pill" back in the day, but there are newer drugs on the market that work well and are specifically designed to block the adrenaline rush that causes anxiety. It might be worth talking to him about one of those instead. Ativan and Xanax are two that I have personally taken and had great results with.

Another thing you may want to consider is getting into some sort of therapy. Does your town have a community mental health department? You can usually find a therapist through them that will charge on a sliding scale, based on income. Sometimes they even offer free services. It may be helpful for you to have someone you can talk to who will be able to help you learn how to manage your anxiety while you deal with this situation.

I hope you are able to find some relief soon. Please let us know how you are doing.

Jess

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 1:50pm
(((Jen))) I am so sorry to hear how much you're suffering): You have got to get yourself turned around, gf! W/the dosage change in prozac, you will need to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see the optimal effect. I know from personal experience that this is a good drug & you will notice a difference sooner. As for the valium, that's the *mother's little helper* back in the day. Like Jess, I think that another benzodiazepine would work better. I had good luck w/clonazepam, trade name klonopin. It stays in the system longer(of course you have to wait a little longer) to cover the anxiety. I took it short term twice in the past & was able to walk away from it w/out any effects. Most docs are afraid to use these meds, as they have a high potential for addiction & abuse. They shouldn't be used for more than a year. Right now, I am taking buspar. It isn't addictive. It works differently on the anxiety, but you have to take it daily. Maybe the dr. would feel better about prescribing it. You can always ask.
I know it's hard when money is tight to find help. Exercise is free, Jen. Walk or bike or swim, whatever you like to do when the anxiety is high. It will burn off the anxiety & increase your endorphins(feel good hormones.) If you can't sleep, get up & walk. My mom used to say, stay in bed, @ least you'll be resting, but that never worked for me. I would continue to focus on my anxiety & make myself sicker. Try meditation or yoga. I started on this site: http://www.learningmeditation.com/ Some yoga classes are free or very low cost @ the YMCA or YWCA. After I learned a bit, I got some dvds & now work along to Namaste Yoga on Fittv. (Only the moves I can do, as my knees hold me back.)
Check w/your local mental health usually listed under county services. There may be support groups for anxiety or depression that are free of charge. Also, ask your dr. or the local mental health for a list of counselors. It really helps to talk w/someone. My dd is working w/a Christian counseling service that operates on one's ability to pay. Even a local pastor may have a certificate in counseling & will hold sessions w/you. There is someone out there that will help you, Jen.
I know you must be scared about your job. You have been there as long as I've known you. Do you miss work because you're too tired to go or too anxious to leave the house? What happens when you're @ work, Jen? Can you belly breathe through the anxiety? Splash cold water on your face? Repeat positive affirmations? Find what works & power through. You CAN do this!
Everyone on this board is a work in progress. We're trying to get through our daily lives as best as we can. Remember that we're on your side. You are NEVER alone! GL & GBU! Keep in touch. jan
PS I'm sorry about the situation w/your dh): I hope it works out ok. Whatever happens, we're here for you to vent anytime!