not sleeping...

iVillage Member
not sleeping...
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 12:08pm

Hi...

I'm not sleeping very well...it is very annoying, because I wake up with a knot in my stomach and it will keep me up. This time I have no idea what it could be. I am not really sure what is worrying me this time. Last week was a different story, but now, it is getting out of hand. I mean, I literally went through two nights with no problems and then now I'm up again in the middle of the night. I'm not taking anything, and I do not plan to take any medication either. I am refusing to...personal choice. Being the summer, I'm not sure if I would like to have something hot to drink....
Has this happened to anyone? I am working on a workbook too. I know I read about deep breathing and visualization. Pretty interesting. I'm not sure how this will work when you don't know what it is. I was up for an hour, reading and working on this workbook.
Any suggestions?

Thanks...

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 1:29pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with some form of insomnia.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 2:07pm
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having sleep problems): My mom used to say, "don't wonder too far or you might get lost." I know now what she meant. Wondering about *why* I am anxious simply keeps me anxious & creates even more anxiety. The vicious cycle never ends): It's better to stay in the present & work on the immediate problem. You really don't need to know why you feel as you do. Keep on working the workbook. Finding the technique that is right for you will come. Everyone in this community has come up against sleep issues & anxious thoughts that keep them awake. For me, meditating & belly breathing usually work. My anxiety is too high right now, so I have taken to walking it off.
Does that knot in your stomach worsen? Last week, I had throat tightness I sometimes feel before I begin to cry. The more I focused on it, the tighter it became. It nearly scared me to death! I refocused, belly breathed & practiced my progressive relaxation exercises. After I turned myself around, I did something that pleased me. I crocheted an afghan. Normally I would leave that for evening when my housework was completed. But... gosh darnit! I was going to reward myself for getting through a tough spot & to heck w/the housework! Be kind to you! There's some sleeping ideas in our *coping tips & tricks* folder below. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 7:36am
*******Has this happened to anyone? I am working on a workbook too. I know I read about deep breathing and visualization. .... I was up for an hour, reading and working on this workbook.
Any suggestions?

The workbook sounds interesting. What helps me the most (and I take medication) is when I lay down, I pick a past event that has nothing to do with what's causing the anxiety and I relive it frame by frame. That is what helps me. If that doesn't work, I usually give up and watch TV.

Powered by CGISpy.com

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 11:04am

I had awful insomnia at the peak of my anxiety.

The very good advice that was given to me was to not stay in bed if you can't sleep. Prior to that I'd been told (by an "expert") to just lie quietly in bed and allow the body to rest if you can't actually sleep- but in that situation, my body may be resting, but my mind's activity was way more exhausting in the end.

No matter the time I get up and change to a location outside the bedroom to do a quiet activity until sleep seems possible or the sun comes up. Watching TV or reading are good options. This seemed to break the "habit" of insomnia. Over time it came later and later in the night, and eventually got to the point that if I wake up, sleep generally comes again pretty quickly.

At first I thought it would be tough because I have a lot of obligations and activities during the day, but it turned out that even if I got up at 2am, I'd be tired, but in some ways more functional throughout the day because my anxiety wouldn't get the same exhausting foothold.

I also learned that I need to avoid alcohol, even in very small amounts- it can be very disturbing to sleep patterns. Also make sure your bed is in good condition. Ours wasn't and though I had no problem falling asleep on it, later in the night it was less comfortable and I wasn't even aware of it until we got a new bed and the entire night was physically comfortable.

Best of luck.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 7:26pm

Hi...

Yes...the workbook is Thoughts and Moods. Pretty soon it I will be focusing on Anxiety and Phobia workbook. My d/t told me not to watch tv when I feel that I can't sleep and in knots because it will still be there, and I am avoiding it. I hate it...but what can you do. The workbook did put me to sleep though...just a lot of activities to do at the same time. I'm not personally looking forward to the Anxiety and Phobia one...I have my reasons, but I will do it. Doing the workbook is my "medication". Believe me, I'm fighting it. I slept last night...I'm hoping I will tonight. I had a good physical day, so, I'm hoping it will let me sleep again tonight. If I don't..I'm going to cry...my d/t would like me to take medication, but I will not. I have my personal reasons. So, yes, it will take me longer, but I have to...now, I'm fighting it so much that it may be affecting my work a bit with the lack of sleep I'm getting. I got to do what I got to do...so really my workbook is my last resort...

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 2:23pm
That's great news about the bed! Is it a special bed, like the ones advertised on tv or a better matress? I think I need a new mattress. One w/more support. I fear going too firm since I have joint issues. OTOH...;) I have been massively indecisive on this one, so would love some input.
I fiddled around making a decision on a new fridge & was forced to make one on Fri. when the old one died. When I get stressed, I cannot *think* for the life of me. LOL GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 3:01pm
I can't watch graphic news or suspenseful programs when I have sleep problems. I need to relax as much as possible. Have you tried listening to a relaxation tape or music? Deepak Chopra has a lot to say & his voice is very calming. Also, Jon Kabat- Zinn has some meditational tapes that are helpful. Monks chanting & a cd of whale sounds interspersed w/new age music have helped me a lot. Just adding some thoughts that might be of help. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 9:32am

Sorry to hear about the fridge, Jan. I hope you like the new one!

DH and I are terrible about making decisions until it is forced- sometimes I wish we were a little more proactive.

No, it is not a special bed, just a firm bed from a major manufacturer- innerspring with a tiny bit of a foam layer on top. It was in the middle price range for innerspring beds. We looked into the expensive premium beds that you see advertised on TV and were not impressed. Seems the more I read about them, the more I came to the conclusion that these beds are marketing masterpieces more than they are all that great- no offense to anyone who has one and loves it. From what I read, the ones with the air chambers are not good for side sleepers, and not good if you have shoulder joint issues.

DH and I finally figured out that the only way to buy a bed is go to the store and sit and lie on them. It was pretty obvious which ones wouldn't work as soon as we sat on them and then we narrowed it down to one we both thought seemed comfortable.

Oh, and the really annoying thing about bed buying is that those major manufacturers (they all seem to start with S's), manufacturer the same bed under different names and with different fabrics for each retailer- so you can't compare the bed price from one retailer to another. Even the place where we bought our bed just a few months ago, now has that brand's beds under totally different names. Stinkers. Maybe that's why the nationally advertised beds are popular, you don't feel like you are playing a shell game.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:59pm
Thx for the tips on buying mattresses! Trying them out is a good idea. My current mattress was a floor model, great mattress, low price, but everyone tried it out! LOL
One time I tried out a water bed in the store front window. My legs are very short. When I tried to get out of the bed, the frame caught right @ the bend of my knee & for the life of me, I couldn't get my feet to the floor to push myself out. I ended up rolling onto the floor. What a sight that must have been.;) (((hugs))) jan