Today

iVillage Member
Today
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 1:54pm
Hi Wondering what everyone is doing today to cope with their anxieties?
I am taing care of my cats and lawn. The cats are a source of calmness for me.
i am trying to take positive steps and not dwell on the negative.
It is not easy, but i am trying.
How are you doing?
Elaine
iVillage Member
In reply to: grippy2005
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 1:15pm
Hi, Elaine! I put in a good day yesterday. Upon awakening I was very shaky inside. As I moved forward & BREATHED, it lessened. I was able to get yardwork & housework completed. Last evening, the inner quivering was back. I repeated the positive affirmations, but wasn't able to concentrate enough to watch tv or read. It was exhausting keeping myself balanced all day, so I hit the sack & fell asleep immediately.
This morning...same shakiness): Even had trouble focusing when I meditated. All I can say is that I'm getting *used* to the anxiety & it isn't throwing me into a panic attack. It is very close though. I know these are the hard days. In time, I will be bothered by it less & less.
I have a weekly meeting on Fridays. I'm not going tonight. The anxiety has nagged @ me that I will panic on the drive or even during the meeting. In my head, I see ppl asking me if I'm ok & touching me & calling an ambulance. I do NOT want to call attention to myself! Though I always encourage everyone, including myself to face the fear, tonight I am not prepared. I will give the buspar some more time & see how I feel next week. I'll *let it go* tonight, but if this becomes a habit, I may have to call my old therapist.
As for pets & cats especially, I love 'em:) When I am super anxious or panic, holding a cat or hugging my dog feels *real.* The unreal feeling I experience makes the a/p worse, so I need to stay in the present. I'm happy you get so much enjoyment from your cats. Hope you're having a better day & here's to a great weekend for all of us! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
In reply to: grippy2005
Sat, 07-24-2010 - 5:58pm
Hi Jan! I completely understand the feelings you are describing. Sometimes just getting out of doors is a chore that those without anxiety could never comprehend. My husband wants to go to an open aire concert tonight and I don't know if I can do it. I want to try though. Hopefully you are having a better day. Our animals are angels in very hot fur coats- especially in this weather.
Take care
Elaine