frustrated but surviving

iVillage Member
frustrated but surviving
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:09am

Hi,

What brought me to this board is that I came here a long time ago and it really helped.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 1:45pm

Which came first? Chicken or egg? Anxiety or low esteem?

Sorry, I'm under the belief it's the low esteem which triggers anxiety & not the other way around. It's when my self esteem is down I start to pick everything apart & analyzing & once I start to analyze I start to make things bigger than they are & anxiety settles in.

If my theory is correct, then stabilizing the anxiety would be to start with lifting your esteem. i.e. not to concentrate on getting the anxiety under control, but instead look at what you are not doing for yourself.

Are you treating your body/spirit well?

How is your diet? Are you eating right, has your diet taken a dive recently?

Are you drinking alcohol more lately - too many patio parties?

How is your exercise, have you gotten off track - slowed down?

How is your water intake, staying hydrated during these hot months?

How is your health, has allergies stuffed your head and maybe lowering your immune system? (Such as me - I am currently suffering another sinus infection.)

Are you getting free time? Time to sit down and do something you enjoy? Drink tea, read a book, etc?

---

I believe sometimes life changes a little bit and we don't realize how much of self we start to sacrifice and then our mind and or body becomes tired & has to start sending out signals & if ignored starts sending up loud alarms.

So those of us who are prone to anxiety this means anxiety attacks. This is how our body reacts to stress & it will for the rest of our lives. For other people (or unfortunately people like myself who gets both) get a sinus infection. Others maybe sciatica nerve flares up. Others achy joints or indigestion or some other inflammation elsewhere in the body. (According to Dr. Amen's brain scans - called SPECs - there is an inflammation in the brain during an anxiety attack.)

I hope whatever is rising your anxiety levels is quick lived and you're able to enjoy some more of summer.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:10pm
Hi & welcome back to the board. I hope you will find the support you need. It's a shame that the anxiety has reared it's ugly head again): It seems that my anxiety is very high but I know that I allowed myself to get off track by devoting too much of my time to saving others than saving myself. Seriously, I was putting on an act & I am positive noone knew what was really going on in my head. For now, I am making myself work a routine. Not skimping on sleep or exercise. Though I know fully well, that caffeine is bad for me, I was sneaking in waaaay too many cups of tea & coffee. After cutting down, I did suffer a withdrawal headache for a couple of days but it's gone.
As for forgiveness, it seems we have a hard time when it comes to ourselves. You need to let this go. I'm w/Bonnie. Much of our anxiety has to do w/underlying self-esteem issues. When the anxiety returns, our insecurities seem a lot larger.
Since you've moved forward from this in the past, I am positive you will do it again. Don't become too impatient. Think positively & keep working those coping skills. You are an ok person. You are more than the anxiety. Don't allow it to define you. GL & GBU! Hope to see you again! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:37am

Thanks so much Bonnie and Jan