1st day on medication, need input

iVillage Member
1st day on medication, need input
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 1:27pm

I have been obsessing on and off for a year, started to increase steadily in the last 6 months. And the last few weeks I've been sleeping horribly.

finally saw my doctor about it yesterday and he prescribed zoloft. I took it yesterday and today, only problem is that I slept about one hour last night. The sleeplisness just makes me more unsettled.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:05pm

what are you obsessing with? do you have OCD? did the doctor give you a diagnosis?

zoloft is an anti-depressant, not a sleeping pill. anti-depressants alter the chemicals in your brain to make you "happy", but it's just a bandage... it doesn't cure the problem. you have to get to the bottom of why you can't sleep...

try:
- chamomile tea
- relaxing music
- working out (makes you exhausted & rids you of anxiety)

sleeping pills are addictive...

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:27pm

It's always work related and that's it. I am a part owner of a company and am constantly concerned about work coming in the door, etc. for my benefity, employees, we have about 40 employees.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:36pm

Every body is different & will metabolize meds differently. The first time I was put onto Zoloft I thought I felt the effects nearly immediately, w/in a day. But that is not normally how ADs work. There were 2 possibilities for me. From what my doc told me, if I suffer from PMDD (a severe form of PMS which includes anxiety) then it works fast. As I know much of my anxiety is cycle related, my AF had arrived while in the waiting room at the doc's office - so the effects simply could have been from the absence of progesterone.

The 2nd time I took Zoloft it took a full 2 weeks for it to take effect & those 2 weeks were rough. This time it was situational depression & weaning my DD so AF was just coming back as well. I do not remember if it helped me sleep at all, but I was in a brain fog and nauseous for those first two weeks.

I tend to be extremely sensitive to all medication. So much so I rarely take anything now. So my results above are what happened to be with my body. How it will work on yours is a mystery. Though, generally, it takes about 2 weeks to really feel the effects.

Now, I hate to do this & you do not need to answer anywhere but your head, but from experience I've seen general doctors do not ask a very important question when it comes to Zoloft. Does bipolar run in your family at all? If it does you may want to mention this to your doc. Ask him what signs & symptoms to watch for. I personally feel only psychiatrists should be px'ing ADs, but it's not the world we live in, now is it? I don't think general docs know enough about these meds to be px'ing them, but, to tell the truth, it's where I got mine :)

As for the Ambien & Zoloft, I would say call your doc and ask there. I believe Ambien will also alter hormones which effect mood. I personally would try to do some other activities to help you sleep as mentioned by the previous poster.

1. Epsom salt bath
2. Chamomile tea
3. A 30 minute walk after dinner
4. Listen to some guided meditation w/headphones on as you lay to sleep
5. Start a bedtime routine
6. No TV for 30 minutes before bed
7. Try a nighttime yoga salutation
8. A bowl of oatmeal with a little milk & cinnamon

These are to name a few ideas.

I hope you get sleep soon. I am sleep deprived, but there is a part of me who doesn't want to give up my quiet moments in the middle of the night so as much as I want sleep, I think a part of me wakes me to enjoy the moment as well.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:57pm

No bi-polar anywhere, the only think mental illness related would be some obsessive tendencies on my father's side. He's the type that when he picks a hobby it pretty much dominates his life. My Dr was actually extremely thorough in his questioning of my geneology related to mentall illnesses, really made me think about my parents and siblings behavior as we were sitting there.

I am glad I found this board, talking about it, honestly makes me feel better.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 6:03pm

Good to hear about no bipolar in your family. My MIL died on it, my H went 3-months in severe mania from it (only came out w/anti-psychotics) & my younger sister was put on it AFTER she was dx'd w/bipolar & she didn't tell her OB & she was preg at the time. So I get a bit weary.

You can get zencast from itunes too. Teaches how to live in the present instead of trying to predict the future.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 1:49pm
Sometimes new meds can cause a jittery feeling. It passes in 7 to 10 days. Much of what others suggested, as to getting a good night's sleep, ITA with. I have often gone to bed & began to *ruminate* w/out cease. I tell myself that I will allow it for 15 minutes, then throw a stop sign up in my head. I have an alarm clock w/nature sounds. I pick the ocean setting & belly breathe to the sound of the waves. Also, daily meditation & light yoga keeps me in balance. I am a fan of monks chanting, Deepak Chopra, Jon Kabat-Zinn & a whale sounds reiki cd that has new age music interspersed. Listening through headphones helps me to focus better. During the day, I exercise by walking. Everyone finds what is right for them. I do know that exercise increases the endorphins(feel good hormones) & burns off anxiety.
As for seeing a psychiatrist, nowadays, they see ppl for med checks, prescriptions, not *talking it out.* Meds in combination w/cognitive behavioral therapy works best. If you decide to talk to someone & get to the roots of your current anxieties, look for a trained CBT. It is not deep dark therapy. You address your current problems & learn how to cope better. Meds are only a small part of learning how to live w/anxiety. I have been off meds for more years than I needed to take them. W/out the CBT & what I learned, I wouldn't be where I am today. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan
PS I am not in favor of sleeping pills, but check w/your dr.