Question about meds, zoloft

iVillage Member
Question about meds, zoloft
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 1:24pm

I'm on my 4th day of half dose of Zoloft. I've got to say, the obsessing has decreased and I'm not as occupied with thought.

However, I do feel like I haven't had a good nights sleep yet. Feel tired and yawny, I also have have a somewhat low constant nervous sensation. They kind of feeling you have when your on medication.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 1:35pm
Hello & welcome! Zoloft is a great med for anxiety. Like most antidepressants, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to reach optimal levels in the blood stream. Though you will feel some effect much sooner. As for sleepiness & that groggy feeling, it will pass in 7 to 10 days, as you adjust.
From my experience, taking it @ bedtime helps. It will assure you of a better night's sleep & also, not as much grogginess in the day time that may interfere w/your functioning. If you're concerned, call your dr. or pharmacist.
Noone wants to see you return to excessive anxious thinking. I know when I began a new med, I wanted to be better yesterday. In fact, I dragged my feet getting to the dr. as I had myself convinced that if I tried harder & was a stronger person, I could overcome the anxiety all on my own. That wasn't the case):
You might find techniques such as progressive relaxation, belly breathing, repeating positive affirmations, meditation, etc. that you can teach yourself to get through this rough time. Take a look through our *coping tips & tricks* folder below.
I do hope you feel better soon. Hang in there & post anytime. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 2:52pm

thanks for the input, I mainly want to figure out where all this should be heading. Is there potential for me to feel completely normal while on meds?

I try not to think about it, but the scariest thing about all of this is thinking that I may not ever be my olds self again, which was just a year ago. I'm 35, have three kids and a great wife. I feel like I am cheating them of a quality relationship with the real me, which is why I went to the doctor to get meds. I think if after a month I'm not feeling the way I want, I'll get referred to a therapist as well.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 4:50pm
Everyone defines *normal* differently. I believe that you will get back to your old self. In fact, many ppl who post here, have that very same concern. It causes us a lot of worry. It's easier to live in the present, than look too far ahead. As my gramma always said about me, *quit borrowing trouble;)*
You may become anxious again, but you will have learned better ways of coping w/the anxiety. Everyone is anxious @ times. Noone can live totally anxiety-free. It helps us to grow. It helps us to stay safe. It may be the impetus for some of us to work better, faster & think quicker on our feet. The difference is when the anxiety becomes so out of control that it interrupts our daily lives & robs us of our happiness.
As for your family, they will love you anxious or not. I am positive of that. They might not understand your anxiety, as those in our community do. However, your family will know if you're suffering. That will cause them pain to watch you. Please take care of yourself. If you need a break, you must take one. Ask for help. There's no shame in that. Make time for yourself. Dump any stress that you can. As another member says, when flying, the air crew will tell you to put YOUR oxygen mask on first in the event of trouble. It is ok to do that w/anxiety. If you don't put that oxygen on first & try to mask your children or wife, you may pass out & leave your family alone to fend for themselves. I hope that isn't too frightening of an example.
I wish you the best of luck! You CAN & WILL get better. GBU! (((hugs))) jan