No sleep...sigh...

iVillage Member
No sleep...sigh...
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 11:21pm

Hi...

I thought I solved my sleep...but yet again, two days later I did not sleep much. I was up every hour starting at 2:30am. I will never get it. I meant to stop by and pick up some valerian...it will be my only hope now. I went for a walk this evening, and hoping that would help. I have a workbook and worked on it at 4:00am for an hour and it finally put me to sleep. I had to wake up a few hours later...so, something had to give....

I know I have been keeping active...which I'm wondering...if I'm doing too much activity...I got a knot in my stomach again...and I honestly have no clue...um wait...I might...I have something coming up that I am very excited about but can that keep me from not sleeping well?

I am hoping I could sleep tonight though...so frustrating! I know I will pick up some valerian tomorrow...top of my to do list!

Oh wait...is it true that you should go to sleep three hours before midnight or else it ruins your sleep patterns?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 12:28pm

That's what I've read... that it is best to be asleep before 10PM ... something magical happens at 10PM which will effect the quality of your sleep for the rest of the night.

Doesn't work for me though. If I fall asleep before 10 then I'm up by 11 and for most of the rest of the night.

My DS didn't sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time in his first year of life. I was breaking down mentally and read a lot on sleep. There was one book that after it discussed getting baby to sleep that it was now time to discuss the parents .... because lack of sleep for so long will disrupt your sleep. That sleep begets sleep. So when you first start actually sleeping it's not very good sleep & some days are better than others. But as you start sleeping even 10 - 20 minutes better for a while, it will help you sleep 30-40 minutes longer in the near future.

My son is 8, trying to go off memory, but it was something like that.

----

Have you been looked over medically?
I mentioned my sleep to my doc, told him I thought I had sleep apnea, he laughed and said I was too thin & it was the end of that. But turns out I have nasal polyps and I believe its the polyps preventing me to breath at night. I had surgery, but at least one polyp is back. But I'm finding irrigating my nose before bed (and flonase) is really helping.

Have you ever thought of using a neti pot?
Or maybe try buying a nasal decongestant & see if you sleep better?
Or sleeping with your head elevated, as if it is not sinus, maybe it could be stomach acid entering your esophegous?

Maybe it's something in your body that is bothersome just enough to wake you, but not enough to give you a clue what caused you to wake?

I used to think it I was having anxiety attacks in my sleep. Now I'm thinking it was b/c I was really not breathing.

I wish you a good nights rest tonight.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 3:16pm

I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping, it is a very frustrating situation to be sure.

In the past I've had periods of time when I was sleeping so poorly, that I would have severe anxiety when it was time to go to bed. I was just so scared about whether I might not sleep (I also developed severe compressed TMJ at the time). I think being stressed out about whether or not I was going to sleep made it harder for me to relax and sleep- what a catch 22.

I never had much luck with the valerian, but it's worth a shot. Have you ever smelled it? It is something else. Cats seem to love the smell of it and it can be very relaxing for them if they sniff it. Strange stuff.

Have you tried melatonin? I think that helped me break my bad sleep cycles, though it took a while. I found when I took melatonin that I fell asleep and stayed in a good sleep for a few hours, then woke up and was mostly up at that point-- however, those first few hours were way more (quantity and quality) than I had been getting before that. I also found that if I took it, and then had to wake up during those first 4-5 hours(child needing something, DH coming home from a late shift) I felt totally loopy and it was almost worse than if I hadn't taken it. So taking melatonin required that my sleep be relatively undisturbed for the first few hours.

I've known people who tried melatonin and they did not like it, but I think it helped get me over a hump. One lady I know would take it and then go watch TV rather than lie in bed and let it take effect; I wonder if by staying up and and staying stimulated she let herself get into that "loopy" state. I stopped using it after about a year and then began to sleep even past the 4-5 hour point. Some companies make a dual release melatonin that gives you a second release of the product about 3 hours later. If you haven't tried it, I think it is worth looking into. Lots of info on the internet.

And oh yeah, something good coming up can still make the wheels turn in your mind and keep you up.

Good luck.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 9:36pm

I'm sorry to hear you aren't sleeping. That is one of the worst parts of anxiety for me. The sleeplessness begets more anxiety. It's such a vicious cycle.

I hope the valerian works for you. That's not one that I'm familiar with, but would like to hear how it works for you. Here's hoping you get a good night's rest soon.

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 9:37pm

Hi...

That's what i do sometimes when the night comes...am I going to have a good sleep or a crappy sleep. I slept well last night...and yet again hoping for another one. I have to wake up early for work and it is just frustrating for me that I can't sleep!! Something big is coming up so, ya..it is exciting needless to say the least. I'm hoping that after this one, I will be able to sleep right through. I have been threatened to take medication, but and I don't want to. So it is a struggle needless to say...going all natural too.

I'm hoping for a second nights sleep of no problems...gonna shower now...that will help I think...considering i was swimming in the lake...

Thanks...

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 7:52am

Hi...

I'm sooo going to cry soon...I have an event coming up which needs all the energy that I can get...I'm psyched for it, its this coming weekend,

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 1:46pm
Have you considered just taking some tylenol pm?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:37pm

mom may flower, I don't consider the melatonin to be a medication per se, at least no more than the valerian is. Melatonin is the natural stuff your body makes to help you sleep. If for whatever reason you don't produce enough melatonin naturally, taking a supplement can help you sleep. It is widely available (I bought mine at Walmart to give you an idea how easy it is to find).

If you aren't familiar with it, do an internet search and read up on it, it just might help.

(((HUGS))) and wishes for sleep!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 8:34am

Hi...

I actually slept right through this time! Yay!!! I was sooo tired....and yes, afraid that I wasn't going to sleep...but I really did sleep! I was so impressed when I woke up this morning! Man it felt soooo good and I didn't want to get out of bed afterwards! lol....I'm hoping for another night like last night and then the following....I gotta! No valerian root this time...I was to tired to get some again...but I will look into the melatonin, and see what it is all about....

Thanks...

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 2:48pm

So glad to read that you were able to get some good sleep last night!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 2:01pm

The sleeplessness begets more anxiety. It's such a vicious cycle.

I am TOTALLY w/you, Jess! Maybe it's just me, but when I don't get enough sleep, I feel kinda weak & shaky inside. I also get palps more often. That alone will increase my anxiety ten-fold! (((hugs))) jan

Pages