QOTW: Are You a 'Cyberchondriac?'

iVillage Member
QOTW: Are You a 'Cyberchondriac?'
Sat, 08-07-2010 - 1:15pm

Share your thoughts w/us. Do you search for medical info too much?

Poll Shows Rise in 'Cyberchondriacs'

Debate over health care reform may be causing more people to use Web for medical info, pollsters say

HealthDay ON Aug 4, 2010 at 4:00PM

WEDNESDAY, Aug. 4 (HealthDay News) -- The debate about health care reform may be one reason why the number of "cyberchondriacs" in the United States increased from 154 million last year to 175 million this year, a new survey suggests.

The term "cyberchondriacs" refers to people who use the Internet to look for information about health topics, according to the Harris Poll telephone survey of 1,066 adults conducted between July 13 and July 18.

The survey also found that people who look for health-related subject matter on the Internet are doing so more frequently. This year, 32 percent of adults who are online said they search for health information "often," compared to 22 percent last year.

Among the other findings:

Read more: http://www.ivillage.com/poll-shows-rise-cyberchondriacs/4-a-232857#ixzz0vwPa2eVC

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 3:27pm
I *could* be! But, I choose NOT to be! In the past, I did too much surfing & got into a great deal of trouble. No matter how irrational it was, my symptoms were exactly like every rare illness I could google. It was stressful & anxiety producing. I learned not to read too much about my own medications. The dr. would give me a head's up on what I should be aware of. If I read the inserts put in by the pharmacy, I would develop EVERY side effect. Not just one or two):
I do want/need to keep abreast of new meds & findings. I try to set a limit on how much I will read each day & if I'm anxious, don't surf the web @ all. It would be easy to fall into my former pattern of behavior. However, I forgive myself for having anxiety & issues w/reading medical news. It's like passing up dessert. I say, "no thanks." (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 3:19pm
Am I the ONLY one??? LOL Last chance to share your thoughts, as we'll have a new question next week. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 4:58pm
You're not alone, Jan. I have spent a great deal of time on WebMd and similar sites. I finally had to cut myself off. I was tired of dying of pulmonary embolisms and brain aneurysms every other day. Not to mention the host of cancers I almost had, etc. Now, just decide if my symptoms are bad enough to go the the doctor. If so, I go. If not, I let it go. Much more productive.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-01-2010 - 9:37pm

Hi Jan, unearthing an older post - I'm a cyberchondriac for sure! I can't take anything without searching the web for possible side effects. Today I developed a headache from the weather front coming through - temperature dropped 20 degrees in two hours at noon. I wanted to take an Advil but am on high blood pressure meds (new and not high dose). Had to look it up and guess what? ended up with a headache all day which also has pushed my anxiety buttons mildly.

I'd have been better off taking the stupid Advil and getting on with my day!

I have to learn to stay off med sites but sometimes I feel like I find something useful that helps. Hard to draw that line!

Linda

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 9:56am

Hi Everyone

I definitely was surfing the web way to often. With this new bout of anxiety/panic the last month I was on every site I could find , mainly checking meds , I had myself so over whelmed and confused and scared.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 1:49pm

Hi Brenda!

I'm just like you about the pains. I somehow feel every twinge and tingle in my body when I'm close to anxiety and then the little sensation makes me wonder if it is a bigger sensation and then I look something up and everything goes downhill. I'm even thinking about selling my new blood pressure monitor at a yard sale this weekend because I'm also taking my blood pressure constantly and the act itself is making me anxious and surprise!! my blood pressure is high. I'm banning my self from med sites currently - this will be my outlet for now.

Linda

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-02-2010 - 11:47pm
Hi Linda
Good idea about selling the blood pressure machine , I would be doing exactly what you have been doing it would be attached . One day in the drug store I was having heart palpitations so decided to get on the blood pressure machine...my pulse was abit high and my pressure was a little higher then normal for me...although still in the normal range ( I do not have high blood pressure) and way with the high pulse, i did it again 10 mins later and my pulse was lower and my blood pressure really low , freaked myself out and had to ask the pharmacist about this....he kind of laughed at me and i felt kind of stupid , he said the difference was probably because I just did it 5 mins ago and the band was probably not on quiet right....all which I know was true...but just goes to show how fast we can freak our selves out.
Since I banned myself from med sites I've felt better.... I will say its hard though, I wanted and am still itching to go check up on ativian all night...like I haven't done it a million times already in the last month....lol
Hope you can sell the machine!
Take Care
Brenda
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 9:33am

If I don't sell it, it is going to Good Will - I actually last night took my blood pressure, it was high, and I looked at my bp log. Before seeing my doctor to discuss high blood pressure, I had "pre-hypertension" numbers. Then I was put on mild meds. My blood pressure rose a few points as I started looking for it to change positively. Then I had my fainting episode that was probably too much wine

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 10:24am
You seem to be doing the same thing with your blood pressure that I've been doing with my Ativan....I have been keeping a log of every time I take a piece of med with the time and amount....if its a day where I've taken more then other days I get freaked out and start thinking I'm addicted , then I get symptoms that I think are caused from my body being addicted when in reality its more anxiety from worrying... like a viscous cycle.
I hope once you get rid of the machine you'll be able to calm down and bring your blood pressure to a normal range.
Anxiety /panic is such a mind game... I am going to try to get myself back to balance and just relax , its the endless worry that does it.
Good Luck
Brenda
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-04-2010 - 5:56pm

GOOD FOR YOU! I equate taking blood pressures to weighing oneself when on a diet. Research says not to do it, as weight fluctuates throughout the day. Blood pressure does too. I used to be a pulse checker. That fluctuates too. LOL As a nurse, I know that but couldn't stop myself. The other day I was waiting for a prescription refill & they had one of those self operated machines. For the first time in years, I forgot myself & hooked up. The results nagged @ me all day. I won't do that again! It's an easy trap for us to fall into. GL & GBU! (((hugs)))