new here - anxiety attack

iVillage Member
new here - anxiety attack
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 6:45am

I dont know where else to post, but I just need to get it out. I've had 4 long anxiety attacks today over a situation that is my fault and here it st 5am and I still cant sleep and my heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. I dont take any kind of medications. And I know no sleep only escalates the anxiety.

Here's the deal - I was responsible for ordering elementary school spirit shirts for the PTO. I've only just begun with PTO the end of last year, so I do not personally know any of these people. I received the order yesterday and was going thru it all today. I mistakenly ordered 80 additional shirts at $6 each in size adult Medium!!!! I looked at the wrong line when I was ordering. How could I have been sooo stupid!! I just feel like running away from the whole thing. Admit my mistake to the PTO and give up my duties and run. Unfortunately, my son is just a 1st grader at the school and I'll be around that school for a very long time. I finally emailed the PTO President at 4am this morning and said I needed her to give me a call as soon as possible in the morning.

Any advice or how to handle the situation would be appreciated. Thanks for letting me get this out on your board. (I havent been over to IVillage in about a year)

Gavvie_Page_01.jpg picture by MommyHolly

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 2:56am
Hi & welcome back to iVillage:) Sorry that this mistake is troubling you): Everyone makes mistakes. I think talking it out w/the president is a good idea. I'm assuming that the shirts can't be returned. Possibly because of the logo? However, if you guys put your heads together, you might be able to come up w/a solution on how best to sell the shirts. Size adult medium is a popular size. Though this may be additional money not intended to be spent, perhaps the shirts could be used as awards for the children in order to absorb some of the cost.
It isn't the end of the world. Though I'm sure it feels that way to you now. In time, you will regain your confidence & not obsess over the mistake. As for resigning your posistion, please don't be hasty. Give it more thought & discuss how you feel w/the president. In the big scheme of things, it wasn't as if you *ran off* w/the treasury funds. It was a mistake.
Most of our members have anxiety that interferes w/their day-to-day functioning. It is generally constant fears & worries. What you're experiencing isn't necessarily a permanent problem or a mental illness. If you have had this problem before & have chronic difficulties, seeing your dr. & following a prescribed treatment plan is best. I hope you feel better soon. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 12:17pm

How did the conversation go?

I would think the prez would try to think of a way to use up the shirts. Use them as raffle gifts at another fund raiser, a gift for a parents volunteer to help organize something, run a 2-for-1 special on that particular size, etc.

Don't run. You're doing this for your son. It really is important to your kids to be involved. I have not joined the PTO due to me working from home & having another at home. But I did create the website & help the new secretaries learn how to use it each year. I do volunteer for parties & chess club. All of this my son shows great excitement over.

I made a mistake like that once. For a non-profit organization I accidentally sent the rough draft of a newsletter to the printers. So we had to pay for a reorder & were late on delivery.

I was forgiven though. I was still given high responsible things, etc.

This will pass & you will laugh about it one day (or at the very least smile).

I think it would be harder on the PTO to try to replace you than to forgive :)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng