Counseling and meds?

iVillage Member
Counseling and meds?
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 6:40pm

Hi everybody.

I suffer from panic and anxiety really bad. Also bipolar. Im wondering how has counseling and meds worked for you and what meds. Klonopin and paxil helped me in the past but my new doc {medicaid} has refused both no klonopin which was the only thing that helped in a full blown panic and I never abused it. NO paxil cause of my weight issue. I had stopped my meds due to no insurance until medicaid kicked in. Now she has me on Geodon and Neurontin. I feel like neither helps and she takes forever to up the dose. From what I have read the dosages should be higher.

IM trying for ssdi was denied the first time and am appealing it with a lawyer and had to move in with my daughter and her boyfriend and am so stressed and anxious they cant stand me half the time. The more they get upset the more anxoius I get. Im too panicky to drive so they have to drive me everywhere. I feel like such a burden and am really worried i will be denied ssdi again. With all my stuff I know I couldnt work again.

Just curious about everybody's situation in that regard.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 8:11am
I just wanted to say I'm also applying for disability.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 2:56pm
Hi & welcome! I'm sorry to hear about the panic attacks): You are NOT alone! Many of us have been in similiar situations. I had panic & agoraphobia & had to quit my job. It took a very long time of many med changes, therapy & learning new ways to cope, to regain my life. That is the hard part. Everyone wants to be better *yesterday.*
Firstly, the meds you're now on sound more to what is used for bipolar. It does take time to get adjusted to them & also for them to reach adequate blood levels. A good friend of mine has been on neurontin for panic attacks. She's used it successfully for years. I can certainly understand the issue w/klonopin. It is a benzodiazepine known for abuse, addiction & the need for ever increasing doses to cover the anxiety & panic. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe it. Most reputable health sites warn it shouldn't be used for more than a year. Have you heard of buspar? It is not a benzo & must be taken daily for anxiety & panic. It's safe, effective for some folks(I am on it) & not addictive. Though benzos do help when anxious & panicking, they mask the underlying issues that caused the anxiety in the first place. That's where seeing a therapist comes in. Cognitive behavioral therapy works best. Ppl learn to identify their triggers & use new ways to work through the panic & anxiety w/out the use of meds. I learned belly breathing, progressive relaxation, imagery & repeating positive affirmations to get through the bad attacks. You can find many self-help ideas in the *coping tips & tricks* folder below.
In my case, I have many fears, but when they all come out in the wash, I fear the loss of control. That is what I learned in therapy. It seems from what you have posted, ie unable to drive, living w/family, unable to work, etc. Is it possible you feel the loss of control over your life? This is something important to work on in therapy. There are many things we cannot control & everyone needs to learn how to let them go. It's difficult): OTOH, you can take control of some parts of your life when you begin to feel better. Please hang in there. You CAN & WILL learn to live more comfortably w/the anxiety. If you need help in applying for disability, here's a good board to visit: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhssdi GL & GBU! Post anytime. We care. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 6:04pm
Thanks for the input I have been so confused and so tired. I cant sleep. And th eanxiety panic is theu the roof. I have just appealed my disability case in feb or early march. I get long term disability from my job so far but will have to be reevaluated in december. So who knows what will happen.
I feel for you I know what you are going through. Your very lucky to have your husband. I feel like such a burden to my daughter.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 6:10pm
I agree with the loss of control. How have you financially survived? That has been the biggest issue. I have food stamps and medicaid.
The neurontin just doesnt seem to be helping. But IM forced to give it more time as it is all I have.
But I can't sleep. DOc just gave me another script for ambien but its friday and it needs prior approval etc and will probably take days. This weekend will be rough.
Thanks for your kind support.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 6:58pm

Every body reacts differently to meds.

For my H he seems to be doing best with Lithium for day & Seraquel for night (it makes him fall asleep - he cannot sleep w/o it, whenever he cannot sleep he'll realize he forgot to take his meds).

He did go on Xanax for a little while. Though he used it b/c he was self-medicating w/alcohol & did not want to replace one addiction for another. So he didn't take as much as px'd and worked hard to use less & less and deal with life. Though, my personal thought, he could not have done it w/o Lithium, I think it's what calmed him the most.

He had tried many different meds and various dosages before finding this combo.

Hopefully you'll find something that works soon.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 7:43pm

Thanks I know how he feels. I self medicate with beer. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesnt. I do try to cut back and the neurontin seems to make me want to drink less but i'm jumping out of my skin.

Doc loves Geodon and doesnt want me on anything that will make me gain weight. I put a lot of weight thru out this viscious cycle.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:42am
Thankfully, w/meds & therapy, I got my life turned around & returned to work. Also, I had successful weight loss surgery & my major health problems were resolved.
I noticed in another post that you were drinking w/your meds. I understand how that can happen. I know that the meds we're prescribed don't work effectively when alcohol is combined w/them. In fact, alcohol is a depressant & the results we desire are cancelled out by alcohol. Also, many ppl are under the mistaken belief that alcohol will help them sleep. It does *get* us to sleep. But, it's not a restful sleep & a sleep that makes us feel refreshed & better able to cope w/the anxiety. Take care. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan