Racing heart?????

iVillage Member
Racing heart?????
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 9:00pm

Hello again gals.....its been such a long road for me the last few months and I just feel so irritated right now.

Stacey

Loving Mom to Brendan (10), Samma (6), Delaney Kate (3) and Natalie "MiMi" (2)

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 11:20am

YES! A racing heart is probably my #1 anxiety symptom. Like you, I will come out of a sound sleep with my heart pounding fast and hard. I swear I can hear it beating sometimes. For a long time, this was the way I woke to the world every single morning.

I used CBT in an attempt to deal with it, and it happens a lot less frequently now.

The episodes of heart racing/pounding are very bad if I consume even a small amount of alcohol. One small glass of wine with dinner and I'm all but guaranteed a 2am wake up with my heart feeling like it's beating its way up my throat. I suspect other foods may also trigger it for whatever reason, but have yet to pin anything down for sure. I also have problems if I don't have a snack before bed- apparently I need to keep my metabolism up a little better during the night (metabolic issues may be the reason the alcohol triggers it too).

Oh, I wish I knew what to tell you. I know the sensation and how upsetting it is. I hope the meds your doctor gave you help some and that you feel a little better soon. Anxiety is definitely a long road to travel. I send you many (((HUGS))).

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 12:30pm
Yes, Stacey! I have been sleeping away, minding my own business(or so I thought) & out of the blue was awakened w/the racing heart & the ensuing panic attack):
Like, Fish, I'm not sure what to tell you. I think the beta blocker will help a lot. There have been times that I was heartbeat obsessed & checked my pulse regularly. It takes time to get adjusted & that must be how I overcame it. Time & getting used to it. Occasionally, I will *hear* my heart beating in my ears when I lay down to sleep. It's an annoyance, but I have learned to take the focus off of it & get right to sleep. That time will come for you.
I understand your tests were ok, but when you see the cardiologist & get a clean bill of health, you will be able to use that to your advantage. Remind yourself that you are WELL & HEALTHY & doing all you can to stay that way. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan