why

iVillage Member
why
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 1:28pm
I know most everyone on
this board feels the same way- but why was I given so much to deal with and how can I make it through?
iVillage Member
In reply to: grippy2005
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 3:10pm

I seriously yelled at my therapist for calling me strong. I went on about a 10 minute rant about how it is not good to be strong, I'm sick of being strong, etc, etc, etc.

Then every session there after he'd start with 'you are so str..... oh sorry.'

How do we make it through? Well, we really don't have a choice. There comes a point where you just decide you cannot worry about it anymore. There is a point where you succumb and you just let a lot of stuff roll off of you. Because you are filled to your brim & once that happens it's just going to flood over, you cannot control it, and you'll have to just let it fall.

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
In reply to: grippy2005
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 6:12pm
I get so darn mad when ppl say God never gives you more than you can handle! First of all, my God does not visit such extreme stress on ppl. He doesn't give ppl tests to see how much they can handle. It's life, Elaine. Some ppl get too much for them to manage & need to fall back a bit & allow others to take up the slack. My God is the first to cry when He sees us dealing w/these hardships. If He can, He will intervene in some way. Praying, meditating & reading scripture about those who have suffered great adversity is helpful for me. If you aren't a spiritual person, then read books or watch movies on *real life* folks who suffered greatly & overcame the challenges they faced. Talk to others. Connect w/ppl whenever you can. Don't wallow in self-pity. Volunteer. I'm not saying you will find others who have it worse off than you do. But, you will find ppl who are facing challenges much like you & you'll be able to get some tips & put life in perspective.
I don't think I'm particularly strong. Like Bonnie, I get angry when ppl tell me I am. Instead of offering to help, many ppl ask me how I'm holding up. I tell them *ok.* Ok, because I damn well have to be. Noone else is stepping forward to lend a hand & I am too proud to ask for help.
Break it into small bites, Elaine. Tell yourself you will make it through the next hour w/out feeling overwhelmed. Find a distraction. Do anything that takes your mind off your difficulties. It's ok to make it something you enjoy. Believe me! You deserve it!!! You WILL make it through. You WILL be ok. You HAVE too!!! GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan