Oh god I really need advice

iVillage Member
Oh god I really need advice
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 6:00pm

So I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder a couple of weeks ago. It's gotten worse-I've had anxiety attacks, am always a bundle of nerves, and have a difficult time relaxing. It's made my life hell (I'm 22).

My doctor prescribed Prozac last week. In the 4 days I took it, I felt detached, miserable, just as anxious, AND I started having terrible panic attacks. NOT Good.

I'm feeling so TRAPPED in this ball of anxiety. I stopped taking the Prozac until I see my doctor tomorrow, but I just feel so overwhelmed, and I'm so tired of THIS.

Can anyone help? commiserate? anything? i'm feeling like such a failure.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 10:48am
Hi & welcome:) You are NOT alone. Many of us have suffered w/anxiety issues. Here's a good link: http://www.ivillage.com/generalized-anxiety-disorder-0/4-o-102885
Prozac is a good med & one that has been used successfully for GAD. There does seem to be an increase in anxiety for some ppl when they begin Prozac, as well as other antidepressants. Usually, this feeling passes in 7 to 10 days. In my experience, it's best to bite the bullet & power through this effect & keep your eye on the prize of being able to live more comfortably w/the anxiety. It's always good to check w/your doctor. Let us know how your appointment goes.
Research shows & most of us can agree, that meds help but in combination w/therapy works the best. Have you seen a therapist? Cognitive behavioral therapy works. If you haven't seen anyone & think this is an option for you, check to see if the therapist has experience in treating folks w/anxiety issues. One size therapist does NOT fit all!
You are NOT a failure! It's hard to think positively when we feel so awful. You CAN & WILL get better. Learning techniques such as belly breathing, progressive relaxation & imagery will help. When you're a bundle of nerves, exercise will burn off the anxiety & make you feel better. Try a relaxation CD or read a book on overcoming anxiety. Keep yourself busy & distracted. Do things that make you happy. Don't allow the anxiety to interfere w/your interactions w/others. It's easy to isolate. It's hard to push ourselves to meet w/friends & family when we feel bad. It has to be done. Consider any move forward a success. Congratulate yourself. Be kind to YOU! You are doing the best you can. It will take time to learn how to re-focus. In fact, @ the beginning, it is exhausting. Even anxiety is exhausting. Try to get plenty of sleep. Look through our *coping tips & tricks* folder below. There are many things you can do to feel better. I meditate everyday & practice simple yoga.
We understand your frustration, but hang in there. It would be a lot easier if we could all be better *yesterday.* Unfortunately, the anxiety has been w/us a long time. It will take time to learn how to live w/it. GL & GBU! Don't be a stranger. We're here to listen. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 10:52am

My doctor's putting me on Zoloft now. Unfortunately, my father is a doctor and doesn't agree with the dose the doctor wants to put me on now.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 10:56am

I'm sure a lot of people here can relate to your feelings. You are far from alone.

I have had some bad experiences in the past with medication, so I opted to use cognitive behavioral therapy. It is a slow process but can be very effective. You might ask your doc about this possibility as there are psychotherapists who specialize in this form of treatment. Or do some research online. I did mine on my own, with the help of a book. I am a much different person now than I was a year ago and the tools I have I can use for a lifetime and hopefully I won't have to turn to meds- but I never say never.

I don't know much about medication, but I think I've heard that you often have to stay on it for an extended period of time before your body adjusts and you reap the benefits. Your doctor will no doubt help you determine a better course of action. I hope your appointment goes well and that you find a little peace soon.

(((HUGS)))

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 11:08am
Zoloft is a good med too. It causes a little more sleepiness until one gets adjusted. Most of the ppl I know take it @ bedtime. Sorry your father doesn't agree w/the dose): I hope it works out for you. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 1:43pm

Yuck! That would be horrific! I'd be all for not telling your dad exactly what you're taking or how much. Tell him you love him, but you cannot share this information with him as it probably will make your anxieties worse. {{hugs}}

At one time I would have told you Zoloft was extremely fast acting & the best for anxiety .... but come to find out, my anxiety is AF related & AF arrived while in the waiting room of the emergi-care doc who px'd Zoloft for 2 weeks (the least anxiety time of the month).

I, too, do not take meds for my anxiety due to how they worked on me. For some people it is possible to find relief through behavioral changes, though it takes a great will, patience and a lot of hard work.

I'm here to suggest you track your anxiety for 3 months. See if there is a cycle to it. It doesn't have to be a detailed track. Something like on a score of 1-10 where did your overall anxiety for the day lie. Then compare it with your cycles and see if there is a pattern. If there is you'll better know how to attack this with food, vitamins & exercise to supplement your medication.

Oh & you're not a failure. Anxiety is a biological reaction to body changes we have no control over. There is a doctor who has done brain SPECs for years now on patients (and himself as he & his mother suffers anxiety too) and sees a part of the brain that becomes inflamed during anxiety.

Then when we start to have attacks our brain starts to file these away along with the place it happened, weather conditions at the time, smells & sights, etc and it might compartmentalize these things together. So then one day you happen to be walking down the street & your brain heres a train & a dog at the same times & it triggers an anxiety attack b/c that is what you happened to hear when you had your first one or encountered a rational fear.

I believe these to be conditional attacks & it is those that I believe I can better cope with by learning acceptance and behavioral techniques.

What keeps me hoping for more relief is knowing there is brain plasticity and learning how much diet & exercise really can effect mood.

Don't be too hard on yourself - I fear that is the way to feed your anxiety and actually make it worse.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng