New Here and need help

iVillage Member
New Here and need help
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 9:29pm

Hi, my name is Lisa and I am 31 and a mother of 2. I am suffering from something that I have not been able to diagnose. Here are a list of symptoms that have come and gone throughout the past 10 years. Pretty much after I had my first child.

Insomnia;heart palpitations;heavy feeling in the eyes;pressure in the back of my head;jaw tension/pain;uneasy feeling;I can hear my heartbeat in my ears 24/7;dizzy spells at night (very rarely)vertigo; always feel off balance;everyonce in a while I will wake up with lights in my eyes. Kind of like when you look in to a camera flash, then it slowly fades away.

I have been back and forth to different doctors, ENT's, caridiologists. Nothing. I am starting to wonder if this is anxiety or something. I am going crazy inside here. Its effecting my everyday life. No one believes me and I just want to be told what is wrong with me. Can anyone help!?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 3:02am

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time. It's so frustrating when you know that something isn't right and you aren't able to get a diagnosis. Unfortunately, our bodies sometimes send us signals that don't amount to anything substantive. Some of the symptoms you are describing are common symptoms of anxiety, but it's hard to say. It sounds like you are hyper aware of your body sensations, feeling and hearing your heartbeat all the time, which can be a part of anxiety. Heart palpitations are also common for anxiety sufferers, as is the 'uneasy feeling' you mention.

Do you have high blood pressure? I ask because some of your symptoms are common to spikes in BP as well. The flashing lights are sometimes a symptom of ocular migraines, which are migraines that occur with visual and sometimes balance issues, but don't include the pain normally associated with migraines.

Are you well hydrated? Prolonged dehydration, even at a moderate level, can also cause some of these symptoms, including the uneasy feeling.

Have you been tested for environmental and food allergies?

If you've had a comprehensive physical and they've ruled out anything physically wrong with you, it may be time to see a counselor to assess if what you're experiencing is anxiety related.

I wish I had more to offer you, but it's just not possible to know whether or not this is anxiety related based on what you've shared. I think your best course of action is to schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss the possibility that it may be anxiety related. They'll be able to help you determine whether it is or not, and if it is, they'll be able to help you work through it. I hope you are able to find answers soon.

Take care,
Jess

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:48pm

I like Jess's post & didn't think of the migraines, which I thought the light to be strange, but the migraine makes sense. Ocular migraines do not have to come with pain. When I used to get painful migraines though - it was proceeded by strange lights which told me to get home fast or I'd be in a sorry state w/o my bed.

You mentioned since your first child.

Have you ever noticed these symptoms come in waves. They are there stronger for 1-3 weeks and then decrease or even disappear for 1-3 weeks? If so, then maybe track your symptoms on a calendar for a couple of months, then compare to your menstrual cycle. It took me years to realize my anxiety began by hormones cycles. Simply understanding my hormones are the major influence has helped me progress much better.

As Jess mentioned hydration, how is your diet & exercise as well? I'm learning how much food plays into the chemistry of our body which affects mood.

With everything you've described, it all sounds correlated to stress, which also can effect blood sugar...

Symptoms of low blood sugar (WebMD):

Mild: Nausea, hunger, nervous/jittery, cold wet skin, rapid heartbeat, numbness/tingling, trembling.

Moderate: irritability, anxiety, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, headache, weakness, poor coordination, staggering speech, fatigue.

I've been checked many times for diabetes & only failed one number while pg & then, while watching my diet carefully, my numbers were so normal my doc said it was like I didn't have gestational at all. I passed all tests in 2nd full-term pg. BUT ..... I also do not have anxieties during my 2 & 3rd trimesters as I was free from which ever hormone produces my anxiety.

I believe my anxieties will cause symptoms of low blood sugar due to cortisol being released in response to stress.

I find eating steel cut oats with 1 tsp of cinnamon to really help my symptoms of anxiety. Both of these ingredients have been shown to stabilize blood sugar.

I wish you luck in finding the cause of these symptoms. Until then try to find ways to live a more stress-free life. Through therapy, diet, exercise & water.

Peace

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 3:19pm
Hello & welcome:) That's a shame that you're having so many scary symptoms. Has any dr. told you this might be anxiety? If noone has & your tests results are normal, would you consider seeing a therapist? Meds in combination w/therapy is the most successful way to treat anxiety issues.
I began having awful symptoms after the birth of my second child. I felt that things weren't *real.* That the world was tilted & I would lose my balance. Much like you, my heart raced. I felt every beat & heard it when I laid down to sleep. The spells would get worse, throwing me into a full blown panic attack. I would have chest discomfort, trouble breathing & my hands would go numb. I did a bit of dr. shopping & all my tests were normal. Finally, I was told it was anxiety. I could hardly believe this! My symptoms were so real. I have found that our symptoms ARE REAL! This is a REAL illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Antidepressant meds are used & used successfully to raise the serotonin levels in our brains.
You deserve a better life. You can learn to cope better w/the anxiety through meds & therapy. Daily meditation, belly breathing, getting enough sleep, plenty of exercise & reducing my stress levels help me to cope better. I hope that you can recover quickly. GL & GBU! Kep in touch. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 10:37pm

Hey thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I thought I was all alone in this and it is nice to hear that I am not. I have suffered from these symptoms for so long and it has taken a real toll on my marriage, job and day to day living. My husband keeps telling me to go back to the doctor so they can figure it out, but I have been poked and prodded enough and honestly I am sick and tired of them treating me like I am crazy. I had one doctor even ask me if I was being abused at home! As far as I know I dont have any blood sugar problems, although my mom has type 2 diabetes. I dont drink as much water as I should, I guess. I am terrified of taking medicine and I know if I go and see a psychiatrist, that is the first thing they will do. I dont know what I am going to do at this point but I sure am grateful for all the tips and I will keep researching and working towards a more healthier and happier me.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 11:03am

Hi Lisa, I'm not sure I have much to offer, but completely understand your frustration with the medical community. At one point my anxiety flared so badly, and I was not aware that it was anxiety- the doctor I saw accused me of trying to get on disability, which was a joke because I hadn't been working prior and did not qualify for any form of disability. He was basically a nice guy, but he jumped the gun in an offensive way. Anxiety is so difficult to understand, I think many MDs and psychologists are unable to truly understand it.

I relate to some of the symptoms you listed, particularly the clenched jaw. Have you ever heard of compressed TMJ? I have this and it gets worse with anxiety. A bite guard does not help much (keeps you from wearing your teeth somewhat), because you are basically clenching down in your sleep and a bite guard doesn't stop that. The more you clench, the more the muscles develop in that area and make it tighter. My solution has been B-complex vitamins. It is not a cure all, but they do seem to help a lot. I take a half a tablet each morning, and if I miss a few days, I wake up with a lot of jaw/head/neck pain as a result- and then it takes a few days of B vitamins before it starts to ease up. For people who decide to try B vitamins for this type of TMJ, it can take a while for the benefits to kick it- say up to 90 days or more. I also used hot compresses on my jaw to help relax it. There is a lot of information online about compressed TMJ if you search for it.

The other thing that comes to mind is a book titled "Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. I am sure I sound like a broken record on this subject, but this woman's books have given me a new lease on life. If you have been checked out by enough medical practitioners that you feel it is not physiological, then maybe it's time for a different approach, especially if you are sick of doctors who don't seem able to help you, and you feel that medication is not right for you.

All the best of luck.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 12:55pm

Yes, a psychiatrist would - but a psychiatrist these days are basically for prescribing meds, they no longer treat any other way that I'm aware of.

If you want to 'see' somebody it would be a therapist, not a psychiatrist (unless you're ready for meds).

I believe if your symptoms are only bothersome to your life, but have not halted, you can treat yourself without medication. I tried the med route along with birth control (as mine are hormone related) and both seemed to make worse. Even my OB feels I've exhausted medication methods. She spent about an hour with me discussing yoga, meditation, food and such to help aid me.

I personally feel learning about "acceptance therapy" has been my biggest help. There are lots of books on the subject and there are also Cognitive Behavioral Therapists if you want help with all of this.

We are always here too :)