yoga to relax

iVillage Member
yoga to relax
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 10:37pm

I was thinking tonight about yoga...

I have taken a couple of classes, and it was suggested I get back into it for relaxation.

The next rock in your path might be a stepping stone

iVillage Member
In reply to: lodeepve
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 1:43am

I never got the whole mind, body, spirituality thing with yoga. I enjoy it, but it never "spoke" to me in that way. I found that what I like about it was the relaxation benefits, which for me were largely physical. I guess the act of going through the movements was also mentally relaxing, in the 'it gave me something to focus on other than all the other junk in my head' kind of way.

I guess I'm not the best person to answer this question. lol I'm sure someone on the board will be able to help you. I know a few of the ladies use yoga with great success.

Jess

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 12:36pm

My anxieties are on the rise & I attribute part of the problem, I'm not doing yoga right now.

Anyway, yes I have used yoga successfully.

It' not always an immediate relaxation though. It's a build up, over time, type of deal.

Now, I cannot afford a class, so I'm using methods at home and have seen a difference in styles of yoga. For example Nike has a program you can load onto your computer or iPhone. That one I like for learning how to get deeper into my poses, but it's not a relaxation type of yoga.

I've learned from 'My Fitness Coach' on the Wii yoga works best for relaxation when you depend on your breath to know when to move in & out of poses. Plus, you do a salutation in repetition. So for example, you do the Sun Salutation 4 times in a row. Then move to another set & repeat about 4 times. This is when I've felt a more immediate relaxation.

I think it's when your body starts automatically get into the move without thinking & all your focus becomes your breath.

In other words, it is meditation w/o just sitting.

Therefore learning how to meditate could be helpful to make yoga work better for you. I have used a podcast from zencast.org. There are different topics, but they all focus around meditation. I cannot sit meditate for long (less than 5 minutes). Maybe look for their topic on walking meditation as it may help understand how meditation is also used in your waking, moving life.

Hope that helps :)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 3:47pm
Hi, Dee! I tend to agree w/Firstglimpse. The key to yoga is meditation. Try learningmeditation.com. I have found w/a little yoga(Namaste Yoga on Fittv & also Kripalu) that my stress level is greatly reduced & I am better able to cope w/anxieties & fears(too many to name) as they come along. My life is much better than before. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 11:17am

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

The next rock in your path might be a stepping stone

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 3:15pm

You can train your kiddies too. My DD knows there is no talking during yoga. It was cute, one day I was doing yoga (she's usually on my computer when I do), but this day she ran into her room, grabbed her body suit & joined me very quietly.

i.e. you train them to be quiet & leave you alone while you train yourself to do yoga regularly :) It's not a guarantee they'll always be quiet, but often they will.

My baby starts K next week. So I *might* be doing yoga w/o her. But then, there is also a lot of stuff I need to throw/give away which I cannot do when she's around.