Seasonal Allergy Symptoms

iVillage Member
Seasonal Allergy Symptoms
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 3:26pm

Huh, so I can think of 4 years in a row now where I start to get anxiety symptoms in August. Mostly heart palps & numb skin. Last August it got so bad I could not even shower w/o crying b/c the water felt like pins & needles.

Well... it's starting again. So I'm starting to think it must be seasonal. I had realized once I got ulcer's in the spring & fall. I no longer get ulcers now, but I get sinus infections & August this numbing thing (I took antibiotics form 30 days in August! Blah - that was fun with all the yeast infections it brings on too - doc hoping to eradicate any residual sinus bacteria.)

So even though I don't have a sinus infection, I do feel my sinus swelling & that stupid numbness feeling.

I've looked up seasonal anxiety & see it related to SAD ... but mine go away before winter starts, so I don't think it's SAD.

Could this just be how my body reacts to allergies? I don't feel stressed/scared, just have all symptoms w/o the stress & fear.
(I am taking allergies meds too.)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 2:29pm

I think it could be, have you ever had any allergy testing done to see if you're allergic to late summer/fall allergens like weeds (ragweed is a big one)?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 4:20pm
There are some ppl Bonnie who cannot take showers. The pressure of the water hitting their bodies releases histamine. It's like a mini-allergic reaction. Some get awful itching. Others can get hives or rashes from showering. If you feel this way, maybe you are triggering some allergic response.
I know my allergies are seasonal. Always in the fall. I can feel my nose & the front of my face getting tight already. Whatever is the culprit must be growing right now. Eventually, I will have some nasal dripping & a lot of headaches. As you know, a headache for me is a fatal brain tumor in the making;) I know my allergies impact my anxiety. It's difficult to tell what is allergy & what is anxiety.
I hope you can get to the bottom of this. Unless we live in a bubble, allergies are always going to be there. I don't know the answer, because I can't take anti-histamines. I take the preventitive measures approach & hope for the best. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 2:34am

I did get tested before I had my sinus surgery about 3 years ago. I was in such a terrible state at the time & my allergy doc did not speak English very well I was always sort of confused to what exactly I was allergic too. At the time I was having anaphylaxis type symptoms. Well, at least I believed I was, years later I've started to wonder if it was some strong anxiety attack due to months of an infection??? So instead of dealing with my seasonal allergies he referred me off to some school to be studied, which I really was not keen to & went to an ENT instead & got a CAT scan which resulted into 7 procedures done in a single surgery.

I do know some grass, dust mites & some evergreens.
I use a sinus wash every night followed by a steroid spray.

The reason I started to take the allergy medicine is because of my increased anxiety symptoms and swollen sinus, which happened on the last day of the month long regiment.

Jan, I'm with you on the anti-histamines, but I fear sinus infection so bad I would rather put up with the added anxiety symptoms.

I guess it's the numbness around my skin that concerns me the most. Why does it happen? It's all over my skin & it will just burn ... not an itch/rash burn, like a frozen burn. So the shower wasn't an itchiness, it was a an extreme form prickling. Anything against my skin just hurt.

Thinking back, it's been longer than 4 years. I do remember it was at the end of summer when I went to an emergi-care about 7 years ago due to numbness in my face. It was guessed I was suffering from shingles, but I never had any other symptom & it came back the following year so I ignored it.

Weird ... really puts me on edge. Oh well, I've increased my oat, tea & water intake & luckily, so far, the allergy meds are only messing up my sleep.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:12pm
I don't know why you've having these symptoms. I have so many zany sensations, that I automatically attribute them to anxiety. I get a cool breeze on my face sometimes when there is no breeze. I have a spot on my outer right thigh that goes numb from time to time. My cheeks feel as if they're being stretched & numb @ the same time. If I focus on any of these, I can make myself an anxious mess.
In your case, I think I'd see someone to figure it all out. I'm not sure if a dermatologist is in order or perhaps a neurologist. It seems as if your nervous system might be involved. Maybe a pinched nerve? Burning sensations can be uncomfortable & may interfere w/your life. Is your blood sugar ok? Hmm... Let us know what happens. (((hugs))) jan