QOTW: How do you make a decision?

iVillage Member
QOTW: How do you make a decision?
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 4:41pm
I find that when I'm stressed & anxious, it's difficult to make a decision. How do YOU do it? Do you write a list of the pros & cons? Are you a quick decision maker? Do you sleep on it? Would you ever come to a decision on your own or would you get input from others? Do you research? Give this some thought & share your ideas w/us. (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 1:54pm

Good question, Jan.

As I've gotten further and further into my anxiety work, I've learned that many matters that seem pressing don't actually have to be dealt with this very minute. I will often give myself a day or two to find a better state of mind to make a decision or take some action.

If a decision must be made in the moment, it is very stressful for me. If DH is around, I will ask him for an opinion, otherwise I take what seems like the most logical course of action and hope for the best- but man, that can cause a lot of stress!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 3:10pm
If its something I am confident about, I am a quick decision maker. However, when I'm stressed out, it can be torture. I have written the lists of pros & cons, then went w/what looked best. then, worried ad nauseum that I had made a mistake): I have asked others for their input on occasion. Its difficult for me to ask for help & I always figure I must learn to live w/the decision, so better make it on my own;)
A long time ago when anxiety & depression were @ their highest levels, I would sleep on everything. Sadly, the decision to be made was right there staring me in the face, when I awakened. This is not in my bag of tricks anymore! jan