Seriously freaking out about Dr call

iVillage Member
Seriously freaking out about Dr call
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 6:54am
I started having panic attacks again last week. I went to the dr on Wednesday and saw a dr in the practice but not my normal one. He did an EKG, blood work, gave me a new script for Xanax, and had me wear a heart monitor for 24 hrs. Two days later I had major anxiety again and went back in and saw my normal dr. He reassured me this was anxiety and started me on lexapro. So yesterday my dh comes home from work and wants to know if the drs office called me today. He says they called him and wanted to know where to call in a new prescription for me. Turns out my moniton showed an elevated heart rate, but isn't that normal when your having panic attacks? He called me in a heart medication called torpol xl. I am freaking cause I can't talk to him till Tuesday and my anxiety really centers around my heart and something being wrong with it. Ughhhhhh The dr thy called this in is the one I saw on Wednesday and probably has no idea I was back in the office on Friday. I am just freaking, so much so that I woke up at 4 this morning with tons of anxiety! How can I make it through the weekend?!

Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 8:06am
Oh, isn't it just horrible when something happens that feeds right into your anxiety?
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 8:08am

(((Hugs))) Health concerns are such a huge trigger for anxiety. An elevated heart rate can be a side effect of anxiety for some people. Just remember that you've had the anxiety before and lived to tell the tale. You will this time as well. As for getting through the weekend, just take it one day at a time. One hour at a time if need be. Be good to yourself. I would suggest finding something to occupy your mind. Spend some time with family or friends, or go ahead and clean out your closets or organize your kitchen cupboards. Take some time to pamper yourself and go for a long walk. You can get through this!!!

I know it's pretty scary right now, but you're going to get through this. Tuesday will come, and you'll be able to talk to your doctor.

Let us know how you're doing!

Jess

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:37pm
How are you feeling? Did you make it through the weekend ok? Let us know what the dr. said. I am one w/a fast pulse & wore the monitor, etc. I have taken a beta blocker for years. Atenolol, much like your medication. It worked ok w/my antidepressant & occasional use of a benzo. You will be ok. This is common to some ppl w/anxiety. It doesn't mean you have a bad heart or heart disease. I hope the dr. can reassure you. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:48pm
Thank you all for the kind and reassuring words. It was a looooong weekend. I finally spoke to the dr today that prescribed that med. He said on my monitor I had several episodes where my heart rate went up to 120 bpm. He is wondering if the high heart rate was causing my anxiety or vise versa. I tend to think it is the anxiety that causes the high heart rate. I had made an appt with my cardiologist a couple of weeks ago and am sitting here in his office now so I will see what he thinks about all this. This is not my first bout with extreme anxiety but it's just as crappy as I remember!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 5:17pm
I hope you get some reassuring answers from your cardiologist.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 9:31pm
Well the visit went good, he thinks all my monitor stats are ok and within normal range. He says I'm fine and it's all anxiety but if I feel this way in a couple of weeks to come back. I should be happy and reassured but.......The pains are still here and still feel yucky. Now I'm stuck in the "what if the dr is wrong mode". I'm going to try to pit this out of my head and move forward.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 12:56am

I'm very familiar with the "what if the doctor is wrong" thing. My husband always teases me about why I even bother going, since as soon as I get home I'm convinced he was probably wrong. This is why, for me, it's so important to have a good relationship with my doctor, and to have one that I really trust. I tend to find it easier to put my faith in the diagnosis that way.

I hope that things calm down for you soon. I'm glad to hear that there's nothing seriously wrong. So now it's just a matter of getting the anxiety back down to an acceptable level. Still some work to to, but much better than having to deal with a physical illness on top of it all.

Continued prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. You'll find your way through this.

Take care,
Jess

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 1:47pm
I'm glad you got a reassuring answer from your doctor, but I'm sorry that chronic doubt is seeping in.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 2:04pm
That's good news! Will you still take the torpol?
I have wondered if the doctor was giving me the correct diagnosis & also, what if the right tests weren't done. It is just that. *WHAT IF!!!* Give yourself plenty of reassurance. Keep your thoughts positive. Focus on being healthy & living as healthfully as you can. GL & GBU! (((hugs))) jan

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 3:42pm
No Toprol for me, the cardiologist did not think that was neccesary at all. I am feeling a little better each day and trying to relax, but it's still hard. It would be so nice to completely let go of my fears and maybe I will when the meds are in full effect. Thank you all so much for the support!

Photobucket