stupid ?...but I need to ask

iVillage Member
stupid ?...but I need to ask
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:50am
Ok, ladies....first of all....guess since I was on board it has changed...kinda neat, but different. Anyway....I have a stupid question. Well, its not stupid to me, but I dont know about it, and I need to know. On my last endo appointment, she gave me a rx for BCP. with my insurance comp. I have to send it to them and they mail me 3 months worth. Well, I got them Sat, and decided that I will just start them on Monday. So thats what I did. I took my first one yesterday. Now, yesterday afternoon, AF showed up (first time since Sept 13). Here is my question...should I continue take the BCP everyday, or since I have only had one...stop taking them then start back up the first day after my last day with AF? I have not ever been on BCP before...well..I take that back, I have but only for a month. that was before I went to see the endo and family dr gave them to me to try to get more estrogen in me. But I need to know ASAP if I should continue to take them. TIA....Megan
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 9:15am
Megan, to be honest I'm not sure. My guess would be that you would continue to take them. I remember when I was on BCPs, I'd take the placebo pills, and AF would come 3-5 days later. So I was already on the next round of pills even though I still had AF. But that's just my opinion and I don't know for sure. I'd recommend calling your RE or maybe even the pharmacist.

Best of luck,

Kathi

Lilypie Baby Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 10:26am
Hi Megan. Are you taking BCPs more for treating PCOS or specifically for a birth control method. If the latter, I'm not sure what to tell you and recommend calling the RE's office. If it is the first case, I'd still recommend calling the RE and asking. But my feeling would be to follow what the directions in the packet say. The mail order place sent you a pamphlet/directions, right? Anyhow, when I've been on BCPs in the past (about 10 years worth), I've usually started them either the day after AF left or the first Saturday/Sunday after AF. Does your directions give you any indication on when to start?

I would follow the directions and if it says take Sunday after you get AF, then take one on Monday and call it all a success. One day off (the pill you already took) shouldn't cause any harm. The birth control effect of BCPs isn't in effect until the second "round" of taking them anyhow.

Sorry if this was confusing. Call your RE's office just to check though!

--Kathy

Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 2:23pm
You just happen to come around on our first day of the new board! hee hee

You need to ask your doc about this. I am surprised that he didn't tell you to wait until to got AF to start them. What kind of BCP did you get?

Laura

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 3:35pm
ok..the kind of pills I got ...they are called yasmin. When she gave them to me, it was so that it might help me get AF back. Cuz she was worried by me not having AF since last sept, so she wanted to use these to help get regulated.

Megan

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:55pm
As far as BCP goes, Yasmin is a very good choice. They are actually formulated specificly for PCOS. Let us know what your doc says. He will be able to tell you what you should do.

Take care, Laura

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting