Soul-Searching...

iVillage Member
Soul-Searching...
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 10:51am
Hi Everyone,

Happy Sunday. I am having a very rough time lately at work.

They brought in a mediator which is a good thing. I have been counseled & may lose my job. I have been in this job 5 months & the depression I was experiencing really blocked my mind to the point I just felt like a zombie. I am on meds but this issue isn't the first time I have had problems in the workplace. I am seeing a doctor & a therapist. I am using the tools they mediator said to use. I meet with her again on Tuesday. My problems are is that I have made some mistakes, I need to focus more & slow down. My boss is the type that hates repeating herself and gives no postive strokes. I realzie I am too needy & need too much reassurance. This job is a great job because it is expanding my skills in my field. I am overwhelmed with anxiety because I do not want to make a mistake.

With my depression & low self-esteem it has just been ruining things for me.

Does anyone expereince this? I mean I know what my problems are. I am addressing them. If this job doesn't work out I will take a long vacation.

On the upswing, I have done great at not calling my ex who I think I mentioned is a big loser. :)

If this looks redundant I did post on another board.

Liz

iVillage Member
In reply to: funbiz
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:34am
Hey Liz! I am sorry things are bad at work. But it sounds like you are dealing with them, that is good! I am also the type of person who needs reassurance but sometimes you need to just give it to yourself! Rather than look for it from other people, reassure yourself that you are doing a good job and are a smart beautiful person!

As for the ex, I am in the same boat right now and I know how hard it can be. Don't let this guy bring you donw or ruin your self esteem. The longer you stay away from him, the easier it will get and then you will be open and ready for a new relationhsip with someone who values you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:39am
Thanks Lori,

I am always so good at giving advice rather than taking it.

Glad to hear you are doing well...we do have a lot in common!

Thanks for responding.

Liz

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 3:23pm
Hi Liz,

Well, it's no longer Sunday, and so I hope today is going better for you.

I know how you feel about work... I am the kind of person that needs praise and re-assurance that I am doing a good job as well, but like Lori said, we sometimes just need to give it to ourselves. Feel proud of what you do and how well you've completed the task at hand.

Congrats on being strong about your ex :) it can be very hard to resist temptation and it sounds like you are being very strong. Good job!!!

Good luck at work sweetie, try not to get too stressed and remember that you are great at what you do!!

*hugs*

Lisa

lisa_ann1226@yahoo.ca

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:24pm
Hi Liz.

I know what it's like to have your depression interfere with your ability to function at work. In my case my depression impaired my writing skills, so I had a lot of difficulty preparing the reports that were a part of my job. My supervisor told me that if I wanted to keep my job then my writing skills had to improve. To help myself I worked with my doctor to try combinations of medication that improved my concentration and helped me to be more productive at work. It took time to find the right medication, but eventually I was able to function better. It sounds like you have similar problems. I know that it is hard to maintain your self-esteem while you are going through this. Your therapist may help you to do this. She can help you to track your progress and help you to be more aware of areas in which you do show some improvement. I know this is a difficult thing to go through. Improvement happens in such small steps that you might miss them if you not are really aware of how you're feeling and changes (however small) in your ability to function.

As far as your need for reassurance goes, it's natural to need additional support when you're experiencing these types of problems. However, it may not be appropriate to expect to receive this support from your boss. Try and talk to your friends and family about your experience and allow them to give you the support that you need. Continue to work with your doctor and therapist. Above all cut yourself some slack. You are not a

the only person who has had problems like this. You have a medical condition that needs treatment. As you said, you are aware of your problems and you are seeking treatment and solutions to address them. Give yourself credit for doing this.

Take care and lots of hugs.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:33pm
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone!

Nitespirit, I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I met with my doc today & we are going to cut back on the meds & that they could be causring some of my zombie mood.

Anyway, I am starting to see some success.

Funbiz