I would be happy w/ mediocre self esteem

iVillage Member
I would be happy w/ mediocre self esteem
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:17pm
but I think it is the lowest of the lowest. I guess it is normal to feel this way because I have no job, no boyfriend. I really do have alot going for me. I am college-educated, have a great family...I am healthy. But I just feel like ----! I have always been hard on myself and this time is no different. I feel like I can't do anything well..whether it would be a job or anything else. I am constantly worried about what people think of me. I have had depression in my life and I think I am going through something right now. I have been unemployed for about a month now..and it is of my own doing. I seem to quit things before I even get started. How do I get on the right path again? It is so hard to go to interviews feeling like this. I want to put positive stuff in my head but it always turns out negative. I really want to feel better about myself. Can anyone relate??

Thanks,

Greta

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:17pm
I can relate.

Is it possible financially just to take some time out for yourself? Can you see a therapist & no, I don't think meds are for everyone, but they do help. Women get hit harder due to all them darn hormones.

If I could do things over, I would take time off instead of jumping in to another job. I am having my own struggles with my own career & direction of my life. If my present job does not pan out, I do plan to take some time off.

We follow ourselves everywhere. It sounds like you know what the problem is, but you need to go deeper. That's why I suggested earlier that you may want to talk to someone...

Good luck & we are here.

Funbiz

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 1:13am
Thanks Funbiz...I can only take probably up to the end of April off from working and then after that I might be in trouble. I only have myself to care for, but I do have bills. I have my own apartment, computer bills, charge card, electric, phone, auto insurance (thank gosh my car is paid for), and then there is food to think about. My mother told me she would help out as much as she can, but I really can't rely on others to bail me out of things...I am 31...I need to be more responsible. If I don't get a job soon, I guess I will have to live with my mom..we are close to one another..but I know I will feel worse if I have to go live with my parents again. I am seeing a new therapist and am currently on medication. She has been changing the dosage on me hoping that it might make me feel better. I have been reading self-help books. I have been reading a book by Lucinda Bassett..."From Panic to Power." She really has some great insights. My mom is going to order me those tapes..."Attacking Anxiety.." I really need to change my attitude and outlook on life. I know it will take some time. But that is what I have...TIME...Thanks again for the advice.