Would you be offended???

iVillage Member
Would you be offended???
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:28am
So last night, I went for my first time into a sex toy shop. I was kind of nervous/embarassed, which is odd for me, b/c I'm very open about my sexuality.... so anyway, I was looking around at the different "toys" they had, and it being my first time in a store of that kind, I was taking my time looking at all the different varieties. The clerk was watching me like crazy, which only made me more uncomfortable... what toys I want to include in my sex life aren't really THAT much of her business!!

Anyway, after a bit, she comes up to me and starts asking how my browsing is going. I say "fine thanks" and she notices the toy I'm eyeing as I reach to read the package... She says "oh so you're thinking of that one huh? What are you looking for in a toy? Do you want it firm, powerful, soft, jelly, rubber, plastic" and she just would not stop!!! My goodness woman! In a store like this, please only give me help if I ask for it! I told her I didn't know what I wanted b/c I've never seen all the varieties and options etc... so she starts taking these different vibrators and things off the shelf and starts opening them to show me how they feel and sound and move etc... i did not ask her to do this...

so you can only imagine how un-comfortable it was for me when she's saying to me "here, hold this and feel how powerful it vibes" "feel how life like this is" "Do you like the thickness?" Arrrgg...

sooooo.... after she's made me uncomfortable enough already, she says to me as she's putting the toys away "don't take this the wrong way, but you really should go for a bra fitting". I look at her in astonishment and just say "ookaaayyy" and think to myself "so that's why she was staring at my chest so much". I know she meant it in good will, but geez, I was wearing my old old bra, that I KNOW didn't fit all that right, but it's the only clean one I had and it's not like I was wearing anything sexy or doing anything special that I cared that much about how perky my breasts looked!! lol... she starts telling me how b/c I'm wearing the wrong bra, I look 10 lbs heavier in around my stomach and all this other stuff! Like Geez!!!!! I already have alot of self-esteem body-image issues, I really dont need a stranger to be telling me that my crappy bra makes my boobs look "not as full as they could be" and makes my stomach look more fat!! Ugh. Like I said, I already knew I wasn't wearing the right size at the moment, all my other ones were dirty.. and with my chest size, having each bra cost around $50-60 a pop, I can't afford to have more than 3!!!

Would you be offended with that or would you be thankful she pointed it out?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:25am
Rock on sister! Sounds like fun to me! Nothing to be embarassed about.

HUGS!

Nikki

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:20am
Hey - you go girl.... hee hee!!!!

Julie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:59am
Hehe, I actually did end up buying something though... ;) Some flavoured lube (straberry/kiwi and coconut), a satin blindfold for me and b/f to use *blush* and a new *cough cough vibrator cough cough* *double blush* heheehe
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 2:21pm
Okay, my jaw was hanging open wider and wider as I read your post! WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS??? What a jerk.

You are darn right I would have been offended.

First - a shop like that, I am the same way. Leave me alone. It's private stuff, unless I ask for assistance. She sounds like a weirdo. I prob. would have ended up telling her where to stick one of those things, LOL!

Second - Uh, you were not at Victoria's Secret looking for advice on bras. arrrgh - I really cannot stand people like that.

Geee Lisa do you think I got my point across here? haha. I'm sorry you had to endure a fool like that.

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:55am
Yikes! Sounds like someone needs to mind thier own business! I know I was rather shy the first time i went to buy a toy for myself. I'm VERY open about my sexuality as well, but it's kinda of embarassing, I admit. I give you a pat on the back for not running out of the store, lol. You made it! Hope your'e happy with your purchase as well. It's important. It can make a lot of difference.

About the bra thing, i"m right with ya. I'm a very odd size (34D) and the only place I can find my size is at Victoria's Secret and the bras are like $40 a piece. So i can only afford a couple. The others I own are a tad small and I get the spillover sometimes. I try not to wear those with tight shirts. But on the weekends i wear sports bras a lot, because they're so darn comfortable. I had a couple sales women tell me, "you know you'd get mroe support with a bra with underwire" I"m like, "Ok, that's my business" I mean sales women in regular clothing stores, when i"m trying on clothes.

I think they just think they're being helpful.

Hugs honey, I know how you felt!

Nikki

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:50am
Well, thank you for the toy story, you made me smile today! I would never, could never step into a store like that so if anyone started taking things out of packages, iwould curl up and die! As for the bra issue, I think Iwould have come back with something equally as rude! The comment on the bra fitting wa sbad enough but then to say it made you look heavier? Some people have no idea what is appropriate! I guess she figures if you are open enough to shop in that store then nothing is taboo to you! I don't think I could ever get into the toy thing but hey, you never know, depends on how long I remain single, ha!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:40am
WOW! I'm not sure how I would have handled that situation myself but I do think I would have felt embarrassed. That was some experience last night. If anything it will make a funny story one night with friends over drinks.

I probably would have given her the same looks as you. I don't know if I would have said anything. I think I would have been speechless and not known what to say. I may have said something like, 'if I need any more help I'll givey you a holler' or something like that. I would have been embarrassed with her giving me all sorts of advice on the 'toys'.

So, what 'toys' did you end up purchasing? Anything or did you just sort of crawl out of there. (LOL)

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso