New Message from: Hobie31

iVillage Member
New Message from: Hobie31
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 1:59pm
(This ended up under Topsy Turvey Tuesday.... I didn't want it to end up lost in the shuffle)

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I am worried sick for my sister and I don't know what to do? She is 36 years old and has been dating the same guy for 6 years. He is emotionally unstable and has only brought her grief. He has lied, cheated and manipulated. He has been back and for with her for over two years now, and she takes him back every time. When he calls she is happy if he doesn't call she is a mess. Now they had the talk last night that I have been waiting for for years....he is letting her go for good. She is a complete basket case. She drinks, smokes and paces all over the house. She even says things like "I don't want to live." I just don't know what to do? I can't get her tosee therapist and I am watching her self-destruct. It tears me up inside and I don't know how to help her. She won't listen to anyone. She blames this whole awful relationship on herself. What scares me is that this relationship dictates her happiness. Does anyone have any advice on how I can help her? I don't know what to do? I am scared something awful is going to happen to her?

Please, if anyone has any advice please respond to this message. I am desperate.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-03-2003 - 2:22pm
That is really hard, you can't force someone to seek out help! But if she sounds suicidal, you might want to just sit her down and be honest, tell her you are worried about her and you need to help her and she needs to help herself! I recently broke up with someone and I was very upset, though I never thought life wasn't worth living! Spend time with her if you can, take her out of the house, remind her that she is a wonderful person and setlting for someone who isn't right is not good! I wish I could help more, but just be there for her, she will need you now!
Photobucket