Ever get invited to something

iVillage Member
Ever get invited to something
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 10:51am
That you really dont' want to attend?

This is probably going to sound AWFUL! But - I just got the email/invite from my sister to my nephew's b-day. I don't want to go.

My sister's husband is just awful. Rude, crude, immature, ugh. And then my nephew - I hate to say it because he's just a kid (10 years old).... he is like a miniature version of the husband.

Everyone in the family feels similar :o

I've made excuses in the past to get out of going there (and usually I've actually had plans - but I guess I could have worked something out).

I love my sister dearly, and my niece is just an angel. But honestly - it's almost torture to be around my nephew & bro-in-law!

I guess the mature thing is to just suck it up & go...... I know.

Ever been in this situation??

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 12:44pm
Yes, many times...... my s/o's family is much different than mine... very much more serious and don't have the same kind of sense of humor that my family has, so i always felt somewhat out of place... but yea, i guess you just have to suck it up... make an appearance and make an excuse to leave early....

good luck!

`lisa

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 1:19pm
How about this - if the party is from 1:00-5:00 tell you something like, 'Gee, I have something to go to at 2:30. I can come for a little while but I'll have to leave early. Then, make plans to meet a friend at 2:30 so technically you won't be lying.

That does suck, too bad they are both such idiots. Does your sister realize that everyone feels this way? I guess that's one of those good things about being single, no difficult in-laws to deal with for holidays and birthdays.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 2:32pm
but...but...

I don't wanna go at all, HAHA!!

Yes - I think that is what I'll do. Squeez in the visit - it just stinks cuz they are almost 45 mins away.

I don't think my sister has a CLUE that no one likes him. She actually said something to my mom - she thinks I don't like HER or something because I never want to come & just hang out for no reason.. OOOPS! Honestly I'd rather go get dental work...haha!

Thanks ladies :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 10:34pm
OH!! All the time and it's usually my husband's family who is involved. They're okay, I guess (with the exception of one of the wives but that's another very LONG email), but mostly when they have get-togethers it's very boring and there's no music or games or anything. Everyone just sits around. I try to strike up conversations with the other people there but mostly you just wander around. A couple of times I didn't go and my husband went...it was just one of those days when I couldn't handle it. We go and we leave after a couple of hours. Besides, my son enjoys playing with their kids so that's good.

So, I'm afraid you might have to tough it out and maybe make up an excuse about having to go somewhere else afterwards and leave early.

Good luck!

P.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 1:28pm
Who hasn't? It's tough to try to make an excuse, especially when it's a relative. I was invited to a wedding of a co-worker I barely know. I've never me his fiancee' either. I love going to weddings (weird huh?) but here's my problem:

A) I barely know the guy.

b) I probably won't know anyone there.

c) I don't feel i should buy a gift for someone I don't know, but I can't go without one.

d) I don't have the money for a gift.

So i ffigured I won't go. But I found out no one else at work wants to go either. I feel bad that none of his co-workers will show up. :(

Oh well. Let us know how it goes.

HUGS!

Nikki

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 9:29am
Yeah, that IS a weird situation. I probably wouldn't go either.

Thanks Nik :)