It's all a learning experience, I guess.

iVillage Member
It's all a learning experience, I guess.
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 8:57pm
Hello again. I have posted some couple of weeks ago regarding trying to retain some money I lend "friends" a while ago. Well, months are going by and no money back. I guess I should write that off as a loss. But there's also a check I have wrote out to a potential roommate of mine as deposit money and after our deal fell through, this person cashed the check and refused to acknowledge she had no legal claim to the money. On surface, everything looks fraud free, the check was signed by me, to her, blah, blah. But deep down it hurts me to realize she is getting away with money that really doesn't belong to her.

THINGS I"M INTERESTED IN LEARNING from any of you who have the experience in similar cases,

- when one goes to a Small Claims Court, what happens if the other party doesn't show up?

-what are the true implications of taking someone to SCC, can I at least "ruin" her record, whether it's financial or whatever

-finally, what is the experience of going to SCC about? How long is the process?

I know the laws vary from state to state but an overall, general advice would be useful as well. Is it worth to fight over a few hundred dollars and do I have any claim here? She could say the money was a gift, right?

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 9:39am
That really stinks, I'm really sorry that happened to you. Some people are so rotten, I just don't understand it. What is WRONG with them?

I'm sorry - I don't have any experience with SCC.

Once, I was going to pursue a claim, and sent a registered letter to the person I was going to sue. He ended up coughing up the money to me personally, and that was that. I don't know if you've tried that?

Actually sending a registered letter might be a formal part of the process.

We do have a 'legal eagle' here on our board - maybe she can give you some info if she is around.

good luck to you!