i'm so confused and bummed out (vent)

iVillage Member
i'm so confused and bummed out (vent)
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 9:26pm
and need some reassurance and encouragement. so far law schools have rejected me but I am still waiting for my #1 choice Rutgers-newark and Rutgers-camden so maybe there is still hope. I know that law schools seem to like work experience and getting a paralegal certificate means I'm still working in the legal field and using it as a stepping-stone to my dream yet I still feel like a failure at times.

I know I'm not though b/c lots of people were rejected this year so it's not just me in this boat. part of me wonders if I would have been accepted had my grades been better...but honestly my first two years I did try asking for help but gave up after getting the same answers (sit in front row, get new prescription) on how to deal with my visual impairment. i wish I had known back then to avoid lecture halls...my second half of college my grades shot up so much that I made the dean's list the last 2 spring semesters. i just know that had I known that my gpa would have been higher, which would have resulted in a higher index (lsac)

at the same time, I realized while applying that I only want to go part-time so that the reading volume would not be as cumbersome to my eye as full-time load would be. having work experience and an actual job would give ad comms a better reason to accept me than if i had no job/family responsibilities as is my current status. i guess i just feel left out...it seems like everyone else is going to grad/professional school and i'm the only one that is not. thanks for listening.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 9:29am
((Big hugs to you)) I'm sorry you're feeling so blue... I don't blame you. It's so hard when we want something so badly, and work so hard to get it... and it gets so frustrating when it doesn't happen, or we have to wait, and wait, and wait......

You know you have done your best - and are a good candidate. Don't give up hon!

We are all rooting for you, okay?? GOOD LUCK w/Rutgers - I sincerely hope you get accepted... fingers crossed, toes crossed..

HUgs, Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 4:53pm
thanks Julie
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:29am
Hey Ben, I know the waiting is so hard, I went through something similar when i applied to grad school. But girl, you are aiming high, Rutgers law is one of the best schools in this area! It is so hard to get in to and if you look at the demographics, the average age is like 34!! (I did look into law school last year but I can't imagine going back to school now). So don't ever give up that dream. Your plan to get some life experince sounds great, go for it! And even if it doens't happen this year with law school, it will! I knowyou can do it, you have already accomplished so much and worked so hard, no way that was all in vain!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 3:27pm
thanks fellow RU grad. didn't you go to Cook? what kind of law were you considering? I know that RU-N is one of the best in our region-that's why it's competetive but for us Jersey residents it's also most attractive since it's more affordable than Seton Hall and in a safer location than Camden. then again working would help me earn $ to pay for school...if only I could get a job already!

benita
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 9:43am
Yeah I did go to Cook. I live in South Jersey and took some classes at RU-Camden, it really isn't that bad now! And the area the campus is in has really been built up and they are now putting luxury apartmens near campus! So, if you do hear from Camden, dont discount it. I will give you all the South Jersey help I can! I am a scientist so I was considering patent law. Some days I still think about it but doubt I will, I don thave enough time as it is to do anything let alone with school 4 nights a week and then work full time and try to do homework! Good luck sweetie!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 6:32pm
hey,

I heard that on-campus is really nice...I meant the off-campus area is not very safe but I know they are working on revitalization...got millions or billions of $ from the state for that purpose. patent law sounds interesting...don't discount the thought of pursuing it.

benita
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 11:02pm
Hi Benie.

I know that waiting to hear from grad schools can be nerve racking. The first time that I applied to grad school I wasn't accepted. That turned out to be a good thing because my interest changed and I went off in an entirely different direction. When I applied the second time I had work experience that really supported my application and I was accepted into a program that I really loved. I'm in NYC so I know that competion can be tough. When I went back to school for a second graduate degree I was in a very competive field and I wanted to increase my chances of being accepted as much as possible. My GPA in undergrad had been good, but my GRE scores were not outstanding. To bring up my test score I took a GRE prep course and retook the GRE. My scores were much higher. I also had work experience that supported my application. I wasn't excepted in my first choice schools, but ironically the school that did accepted me was one of the most prestigous in the city. Funny how things work out. Any way how were you LSAT scores? Do you feel that your scores could be improved? If so you might want to retake the test and take a prep course or just study on your own. Lots of times schools down play the improtance of a student's GPA if their test score are really high. Also do the shcools that you are applying to know that you have a visual disability which effected your early GPA? This should also be taken into account when they evaluate your application.

Hope things work out for you. Best of luck.

Renee

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 12:38pm
Renee,

thanks for your response and sharing your story. I am now okay with waiting it out since gaining work experience will give me an edge when reapplying and enable me to increase my chances of attending part-time which would be better for my eye. The schools should know about my vision since I wrote an addenda and included it in my personal statement. I know it sounds crazy but I honestly believe that smaller classrooms made the difference since I was able to keep up with in-class material without feeling confused, stressed, frustrated. My LSAT score could use improvement....I did take an on-line course but honestly the grid was small which made it difficult to read. It's common for people with visual impairments to have poor reading comprehension as the task of reading is difficult with eyes wandering constantly. However, after persistently complaining to my doctor I finally got reading glasses which make a huge difference.

Unfortunately at this point and time current laws do not recognize someone with corrective lenses as "disabled" and therefore we can't receive assistance in the classroom or accomodation. Ironically, this is an issue I would like to work on to reform and raise awareness. That is what fueled my interest in the law and politics. with my determination I know I can do it. - benita