Just Got Laid Off

iVillage Member
Just Got Laid Off
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 8:31pm
Hi everyone

I recently got let go from a job I loved. To make matters worse the few dates that i had with someone turned out he was not as interested as I was. I know it makes perfect sense to find a job and get my life in order before i worry about meeting someone, however, jobs are scarce and i'm losing my momentum. Needless to say i am not feeling very good about myself. I can't imagine i will ever find any happiness. Any suggestions? I would appreciate any.

thanks so much

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:04am
Hello Debbie - glad you found us!

I'm very sorry to hear that you were laid off. Especially if you loved your job. That would make me (or probably anyone) feel pretty darn bad. Did they give you reasons for their decision?

You're right, jobs ARE scarce right now. Try to keep that in mind - that it's the economy, not you. I have friends who have degrees up the wazoo & are so impressive in my opinion, yet they cannot find a decent job.

Just keep your eyes & ears open. Network as much as you can... let people know you are looking. It can't hurt ;) And don't be afraid to look outside the scope of your last job - you probably have talents & skills you haven't used in a while.. maybe you can find a job - even temporarily - in another field (?)

Meanwhile - I think it's fine to date, if you meet someone you like. Your recent situation - well, doesn't it always seem to go that way? Either - we like them more, or they liked us more. Don't let that guy get you discouraged.

You WILL find happiness. I've felt exactly as you do - and then found all kinds of happines.... heck, right now I'm going through a lot of stuff & am feeling a little discouraged myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is - life is full of so many ups & downs... it does stink, and it sure would be nice if things could just stay 'up'... but it doesn't seem to go that way all of the time....

Hang in there - we are here for you! Hope to see you around more :)

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:24am
I am really sorry abou tthe job situation, that can be so rough! I was in a similar situation a few years back. I had just left one job, loved wher eI was but was only there 3 months when they laid us all off. I was devestated but in the end, thigns worked out really well for me, I ended up making some changes and life took off for me!

As for the relationship thing, I recently ended a 3 year very serious relationship and it has been hard but I have come to realize my life is what I make of it! I have chnaces and opportunities other people don't and it would be a shame for me to waste one minute worry about the things i feel are missing. Instead, I am focusing on the good things, the people I do have and the chances ahead of me!

Hope things get better, post any time you need some support!

Photobucket