Life lessons in silly places...

iVillage Member
Life lessons in silly places...
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:21am
This may sound so silly but last night I was watching Sex in the City. And on the first episode Carrie said how in NYC people are always looking for 3 things, a job, an apartment, and a man. She had 2 of the three but let the one she didn't have make her miserable. The point was why do women obsess over what they don't have rather than be happy about what they do? So true! I have a fabulous career (and it keeps getting better) and a great little condo that I love. So what that right now I am single! Life is still great! And when I do meet that special man I am supposed to be with, he will find me happy, heathly and loving life! So, I have decided that instead of dwelling on mybreak up (yeah, I still do that) and my single status, I am going to embrace all the great aspects of my life and have a blast!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:28am
Yeah - WHOOO HOOOO!!! Well said. What a great thing to post for us - thank you :)

(And - I love Sex & The City... one of the best shows on earth!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-12-2003 - 9:56am
You go girl! Very good thought!

(Sex and the City rocks too!)

:):):) Karen

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Gandhi

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 2:07pm
Great posting, you are right, we have to try to be happy with what we have and not long so much for what we don't have. I LOVE Sex & the City and will be bummed when it's off the air. Since I will be living on my own very soon, I've been trying to think of inspirational single ladies as my role models. Now mind you, I'm not going to start living like the ladies on S&TC but I'm going to try and use them to some degree as role models. For the most part they are confident and strong (except when it comes to men sometimes LOL). Other TV/movie role models I always liked are:

Mary Richards on Mary Tyler Moore Show

Bridget Jones Diary

That Girls - Marlo Thomas

Ally McBeal - to some degree, she had that dancing baby problem and many others . . .

Are there any others you can recommend?

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 2:27pm
That is a great question! Let's see female role models on tv...I agree that I don't wnt to live like the women on STC, I do respect the strength the exhibit. Not sure i can think of many more. I do like the women on CSI, just because for someone in teh science field, it is good to see women like that, in the field with good jobs and smart, and attractive! You don' t have to be a geek to be a scientist and with a successful career! I don't watch it much any more but I like Cameron Manhyem, sheis onthe Practice. Not only does she play a strong character but she is a powerful women in real life, she succeeded despite Hollywood's imagine issues. Can anyone add to Bennie'slist?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 11:02am
Other women role models: Maya Angelou...Geraldine Ferraro...Patricia Heaton's character on "Strong Medicine"...Erin Brokovich...Demi Morre's character in "G.I. Jane"...Jennifer Holliday...Jade Smalls...Rosa Parks...ok, ok, I will stop now...LOL
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-14-2003 - 1:40pm
you go girl!!!! whoever you end up with will be lucky to find someone so strong and positive minded.

-benita
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:29pm
I know that this might sound like a cliche, but I have always admired Oprah. We grew up in the same city and she was the first African American woman (or man) to appear as a newscaster on a local network (CBS). When I was a kid I always looked up to her as a role model. Meeting her when I was in junior high school was one of the high points of my life. The thing I admire most about her now is that not only does she have one of the most popular shows on telvision, she OWNS her show and the company that produces it. No one else on televison has that. I see her as someone who has control of her career and her future. I will always admire her for that.