I wish I were more "Ladylike"

iVillage Member
I wish I were more "Ladylike"
Fri, 06-13-2003 - 3:25pm
You know, I am quite girly - I wear makeup, do my nails, wear perfume, etc. But I am so obnoxious sometimes, LOL!!!

My one friend compares me to that Julianne Barbieri chick - saying that I am "Pretty, and wear cool clothes, yet am rowdy & outspoken........" Yeah, that's a gentle way to put it ;)

I know when I hear "loud" women - first I almost cringe, and then I realize 'ACK - that's ME!"

I wish there was some kind of "charm school" or something I could go to.

I guess I'm just blowing off steam here... Just something I felt like talking about.

Happy Friday to all - and sorry I didn't put up a Friday Five - work has been busy today :)

Hugs & Love - Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 11:18pm
Hey Julie.

There is no one definition for "ladylike" behavior. Women come in all shapes and sizes with all kinds of cahracteristics and personalities. Does any one ever criticize a MAN for being outspoken. I thought that was what women's lib was all about. The freedom to be OURSELVES, not some cookie cutter image of what society thinks a "lady" should be. So the next time someone says you're too outspoken, smile and say "yes that really describes my personality".

Hang in there.

Renee

PS: I've always been one of the quiet women. During the last decade I've been working on becoming louder and making myself heard.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 7:42am
Holy cow! You sounds just like me! I love wearing nice clothes and doing my make-up and such everyday. I come up with the funkiest outfits too!! Today i"m wearing a see-thru netted shirt with vlevet flowers on it and tassles all over te bottom and sleeve cuffs, with a tanktop underneath! I LOVE this shirt. My b/f said it makes me look like an old lady's lamp shade. LOL! But at the same time, I can be SO crass. I tell the raunchiest jokes and am not afraid to talk about sick things. I"m pretty good at staying reserved when i need to, though.

Screw what people think is "lady like." I've had a lot of people tell me how fun I am and how much the love that I"m so uninhibited. I also get a lot of compliments on ym wardrobe. ;)

Hugs hun. BE YOURSELF!!!

Nikki

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 8:46am
Hey - thanks Renee!!! :) That made me feel good :)

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 8:48am
Nikki - THANKS! Ya know, a lot of people tell me I am a lot of fun too. And like you, I can be 'reserved' when necessary.

OK, I feel better now. I am ME!!!!

And - that top sounds very very cool ;) Your BF's comment was funny though, lol!

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 8:58am
I hear you. For the most part I too love to get dressed up, at least for work, Saturday night tends to be more relaxed unless we are going someplace special. Make-up - I could buy an entire store, but I don't because I know I'll never use it all. Have you ever been to a Sephora store? I don't know if they are only in NYC but if you are into make-up it's a dangerous place to shop. I think one store is three floors of just make-up and accessories.

I too tend to laugh at raunchy jokes and - gasp - I listen to Howard Stern in the morning. So what! You got a problem with that too bad. Hey, it makes the morning commute more tolerable.

Here's to the tomboy qualities in all of us.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 3:32am
Hey Julie.

Glad I helped. I have to tell you that one of the best times I ever had was when we had a going away party for a friend of mine who was leaving her job. I spent the entire party telling dirty jokes. My friend is a nun, but she told me after the party that she had never laughed so much in her life and thanked me livening up her going away party. Just goes to prove that even people who are supposed to fit society's sterotypes enjoy rowdy off the wall behavior.

Renee

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-18-2003 - 9:02am
Renee - that's an awesome story, HAHA!!!! I love it!

:)