I'm moved into my new place

iVillage Member
I'm moved into my new place
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 9:13am
I started moving my clothing in Friday night. Then I brought some more stuff Saturday. Sunday was the BIG move. Mom. dad and I loaded up their SUV with more clothing, my bedroom TV, some kitchen stuff, all sorts of stuff. We made two trips and went to a hardware store for a few items. Dad fashioned a broom stick as security for my sliding glass door. We wedged it into the track.

How'd my first night go? Well . . .

I didn't sleep much. Of course there are all new sounds I have to get used to and, around 9:30 the phone rang and it was a man, sort of laughing. Of course that freaked me out a little as I kept saying, 'wrong number, you have the wrong number' and hung up. I promptly unplugged the phone so that I wasn't disturbed again. My imgagination is INCREDIBLE! If only I could get paid for it I'd be set for life. It was probably someone calling the old owner of my phone number but still, my imagination went into overdrive. (I keep getting calls from someone Miami from a Spanish speaking woman). When I went to the caller ID it said 'unknown caller' which didn't help. I made it through the night but even with a sleeping pill I didn't fall asleep till maybe 2:30-3:00.

So, any suggestions how to avoid my great imagination from keeping me awake?

I've met a few of my neighbors and they seem nice. There's only one nut-job in my building and they are renting. So far I think there are mostly single women in my building. One unit is a husband, wive and 2 small kids. They are across the hall from me. I'll have to wait a little while to get the break-down of everyone in my buliding.

My head is still spinning from everything. I keep wondering if I've remember everything, did I lock my place, close the windows, etc. Hopefully after a week or two it all becomes routine.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:14am
That is great, I am so glad the move was a success, now to just get the rest of your furniture?

I know what you mean about the little anxieties of living alone. When I first moved into my place, it was like the first weekend, i went out with my friends, thought all night abuot whether I locked the doors, turned the stove off, etc. Well, I get home and walk into my kitchen, there is a glass sitting in the middle of my kitchen, on the floor! I was so freaked out, I paniced, I seached my whole house, checked all the windows, looked under thebed, behind the shower curtain. I was about to pack a bag and head to my parents when I realized how the glass got there. I had washed it and put it on the drainboard, you know how they have those little cut outs to put glasses upside down? Well, my glasses were so heavy, it bent the plastic of the glass holder and it fell to the ground, just so happened to fall right side up. I felt so silly but living alone can be nerve wracking!

I don't really have much advice other than to say it happens to everyone and you will get past that! Just try to relax and enjoy your new place and things will get easier! Hope you get to meet the neighbors and maybe you will meet some nice new people!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 10:51am
Thanks, that was a funny story. I'm sure I will have a few moments just like that one. I know, it's going to be an adjustment and in time I will be just fine. I'm still sitting here thinking of stuff. I think once I get my sofa and two seats it will seem more homey. Right now it's almost like a hotel with a lot of empty space. The only difference is I tend to feel more safe in a hotel since there is only one door and I put the dead-bolt and that door chain or piece of steel thingy that most hotel rooms have now. I need to get an extra door lock for both doors just for piece of mind. I think I will also unplug my phone for the next few nights. I need to get on a regular schedule in my new place. I might skip the gym a few days this week until my sleeping gets back to normal.

Thanks for the encouragement,

Ben

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 11:30am
Yay Bennie :)

Well, living in a new place - ALONE - is going to be quite an adjustment. I remember the first time I lived alone - I had a hard time sleeping for a while. Like you, I have an active imagination.

One thing that helped me was to have a fan on, kind of "white noise" of sorts. Every little creak I heard would freak me out, haha.

And the phone thing - I swear, that always happens to me! I just got a new cell phone, and for 2 weeks, I kept getting these weird voice messages.

It will all calm down eventually. You'll need some time to adjust to it all :)

Good luck & hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 12:49pm
Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, I knew the noises would keep me awake. As far as the phone goes, I'm thinking I'll have my dad leave a message on my answering machine. Something like 'we can't come to the phone. . .' just so that anyone who calls for the people who previously had my number will get the message someone else has this number now. I'll tell my friends it's my dad so they won't wonder why my voice isn't on the message.

Ben

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 1:44pm
Well, the good news is I slept much better last night and there were no laughing/heavy breathing calls. I was going to unplug the phone for good measure but I figured I have to start getting used to sleeping with the phone plugged in or else I'll develop a new paranoia. I didn't fall asleep right away but I didn't lie there till 2:30 wondering when I would drift off. I pretty much slept through the night too.

One of the first challenges I see is cooking. Yes, I can cook but it's the whole timing thing and, of course, getting used the oven and stove. I'm used to my old kitchen and how everything works. Last night my asperagus was ready before my chicken so I had to wait and sort of juggle things around. I purchased one or two quick and easy cookbooks, also cooking for one, so that I have some variety and ideas of how to cook for one.

I haven't been to the gym all week. I might try on Thursday. I wanted to get into a routine of at least a few nights till getting back into the gym scene. Besides, since I'm across town now I will switch to another gym. It's the same chain of gyms just a different location so again, I will have another new thing that will need adjustment. Where are the free weights? How do the cardio machines work? How crowded does it get? Is it a muscle-head/beauty queen gym or what?

Oh the problems! (Just joking) As long as I have my health and most of my sanity I'm doing pretty good.

Hugs,

Ben

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-17-2003 - 5:20pm
I also live alone and have a wild imagination. Last night while getting ready for bed I heard a loud bang which sounded as if it came from my mail slot in my front door. I was so freaked out. Almost to the point where I wanted to call my boyfriend to have him come search! I stayed alert for the next hour or so but was able to finally get to bed. It is definitely something you just have to get used to. Before I lived alone I always had 3

other roommates and I never paid attention to the odd sounds of the night. Now, I am so alert to everything! It is comforting to hear that I am not the only one.