need some motivation

iVillage Member
need some motivation
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 12:32am
For the past two months I have been having horrible tension headaches. I've been seeing a doctor about it. For a while, he just gave me medicine. And waited to see if the headaches would go away on their own. Obviously they haven't. I usually have about one a day. They're awful. But the medicine gets rid of them within 20 minutes. Which is much better than over-the-counter stuff, leaving me in agony for hours. He told me today that I needed to stretch my back and neck daily, sleep well, and lose weight. Knowing that you're fat is bad enough. When a doctor confirms it, that makes it worse. I've checked out healthy weights on the internet. It boils down to I have to lose 60 pounds. That sounds like a lot, but I know others have it a lot worse. I want to believe I can do it, but it seems so overwhelming.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:01am
Hmm, let's see. Looking at the smaller picture of "60 Lbs to Lose"... yeah, that's kind of overwhelming.

Can you try to break it down - set smaller goals, like 10 lbs? Or - not even focus on the number. Make it your goal to eat better and to exercise.

View it as a way to feel better too. How would you like to kiss those headaches goodbye? Heck yeah!

Believe me, trying to lose weight is no picnic in my book. I'm trying right now. but - I know the rewards will be worth it. We feel better both physically and emotionally as well when we are healthier & taking good care of our bodies.

Good luck hon!

Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:10pm
Julie is right, stop looking it as 60 pounds to go. Start with 6 (places like Weight Watchers suggest breaking it down in 10% increments). So, set your goal as 6 pounds! You will reach that goal and feel so great and can set another goal! And then you will be on your way! Also, please don't put so much stock in those height weight charts. According to some of them, I am at the upper limit for my height but I am muscular so my actual weight is deceiving. So just go by how you feel and how your clothes fit you, you may lose 30 and feel fabulous and that will be just great for you! I am constantly pursuing a healthier lifestyle so post anytime you have a question or just need a pat on the back
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 2:01pm
Hearing your doctor tell you to lose weight is kinda rough but it sounds like you already knew this, right? He's only looking out for your best interests. If losing weight will help get rid of the head-aches then won't life be better? It is difficult but can you little things first and then move on to bigger efforts. How about simply taking a walk 20 minuts before or after dinner? Or how about parking your car a little further from the door?

Of course diet goes hand in hand with losing weight. You can't expect to lose weight if you don't both exercise and watch what you eat. Can you get a friend to try along with you? It helps if someone else tries to lose weight with you.

I hope this helps a little,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso