low-self-esteem

iVillage Member
low-self-esteem
Sat, 06-28-2003 - 9:58am
I have always had low self-esteem. My parents were emotionally, physically and verbally abusive towards me. Now, I am married and have the same thing....guess that shouldn't be a surprise. :( My parents told me that I would never amount to anything, etc.

So now I'm trying to figure out whether or not to stay or leave the marriage, and it is depressing for me. My neurologist put me on Zoloft and I now have a psychiatrist who put me on Strattera for ADHD. The ADHD is not because of the current situation, it has been there for years, but never treated or picked up by anyone. I did poorly in school as a youngster, always had "social" problems growing up (better now), and my attention span is pretty short, especially with something I'm not interested in. LOL! I am distracted easily, etc.

My psychiatrist feels that putting me on the strattera will help me with my emotional well being, etc. and that will increase my self-confidence, etc.

Right now I have just about no self-confidence and no self-esteem. I am in my mid-30s and even though people tell me that I am "beautiful and sweet" I don't believe them deep down inside. I say "thank you" and let it go at that.

That's my sad tale of woe. :(

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 11:08am
hello and welcome to the board.

If you husband is abusing you - NO ONE deserves that. It sounds as if you are at a turning point in your life - and you are realizing that what your parents told you just ISN'T TRUE!!! I am not here to tell anyone to leave their marriages - but he needs to get help if he is hurting you, whether physically or verbally.

Are you seeing a therapist? Many of us have found therapy VERY helpful in dealing with self-esteem issues. Since your parents didn't foster self-confidence in you, it surely has caused problems for you (hugs). It's just a suggestion ;)

I'm glad you found us, and I hope we can help a bit. Please keep us posted, okay?

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2003 - 1:05pm
Glad you found us, this board is full of wonderful women! In my opinion, no form of abuse is acceptable. Especailly, if the people in your life see it as natural, just how they can behave towards you! I never thought I would seek a therapist but I did this year and it has made a huge difference to me. You might want to consider it, just to maybe get to the root of how you feel about yourself and your life!

Self esteem is a very fragile thing and other people don't realizehow much of an impact they can have on it. The key is to realize that you are a wonderful person, you are worthy of all that life has to offer. Once you decide you are worth it, no one can take that powerful feeling away from you! Please post here if you need some advice or help, that is waht we are here for

Photobucket