Hi, new here...

iVillage Member
Hi, new here...
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 9:24am
First, I want to say thank you to whoever decided to create this board... I'm so glad I found a place like this... I didn't know where to turn to and remembered IVillage had tons of boards... and I was very happy and relieved to see this board!

I guess I'll start by introducing myself... My name's Elia, I'm 24 years old and just got a B. A. in translation. I'll be getting married on June 12th, 2004 to the most patient, caring man I have ever met.

I have been diagnosed with depression in Dec. 99 and had therapy with a psychologist for 2 years. I still take meds.

I think my biggest problem is I lack so much self-esteem, it's almost unbearable. I was just fired 3 weeks ago from my very first job as a professional translator, so it doesn't help * : ( I keep having this awful, painful feeling that I am not suited for the job market and that I will not be able to find another job * : ((( I just don't know what to do to feel better...

Can anyone help or give me advice? Please...

Elia

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: elia20
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 1:22pm
Hi,

First, congratulations! You sound like a very smart woman & my gawd, count your blessings. Your self-esteem is not that bad if you are able to find a loving, supportive relationship.

My first job out of college I quit (because I knew I was going to be fired). Take this time for yourself & do not jump into another job. You have unemployment benefits & I really do think you are very employable. Speak to a career counselor & make a career plan.

You are so young enough & have so many choices. I am 37 & have made several career mistakes & many relationship mistakes.

You are a great person. Whose self-esteem wouldn't be knocked down by losing a job? Look at the positives...you are young, have a great man & have the world by a string.

Just my 2 cents :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-04-2003 - 8:20pm
Hi Elia , I'm glad too that this board exist . I'm happy for your finding a man who is caring.

About the job thing I'm sorry that you are fired, but it ok its your first job and that’s doesn't mean that you are not good, if you really feel that you don't suit for this kind of jobs then you should have an idea of the suitable job for you if no then you just have to believe in your abilities and try to keep telling yourself that you can do it and its ok to fail many times (as much time as it takes to success) .

I know this is not that easy cause I'm not good in doing my advice , when I fail or I just have a little feeling that maybe I can't do something I quit doing it and keep on doing what I can do easily and that limits my chances in learning and experiencing new stuff and make me feel that I'm a big loser .

I don't now if I'm on the track …or my opinion will help you , either way I wish you good luck .

Linda

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 2:14pm
Hello Elia, I'm glad you found us too :)

Being fired is definitely a blow to the self esteem. I'll be it's happened to many (most) of us at least once in our lives. I can just tell you to try & not take it too personally. Not every job is going to be the perfect fit. So - I say, dust yourself off & try to find one that is better for you.

Do you research about the companies, determine if you like the people you'd be working with, etc. We surely do a better job when we are happy w/our surroundings.

And - Yay to you for finding a great guy :)

Anyway - just wanted to welcome you, and hope to see you more.

Hugs, Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 2:31pm
Hi and welcome. First off, I think everyone is fired at least once in their lives. I worked steady for maybe 15 years when I was first fired. I was only on the job for 3 months. I knew after the third day it was not a good fit so I started looking for a new job. My ego was hurt when they fired me but I was also partly relieved. I started temping and eventually landed my current position where I've been for 6 years going on 7.

I would suggest going to a job counselor or a temp agency and see if they have any advice or positions to fill. What exactly do you do as a translator? The first fun position that I thought of might be a little off of what you are really trained for but here goes - how about a tour guide at an amusement park for foreign tourists or something along those lines? I'm sure you are trained for something much more technical but since it's summer there might be an amusement park or other tourist attraction that needs summer help. If I'm way off course just yell at me (LOL). It could be a fun job just to get back your self-esteem.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 9:12am
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind replies and sound advice - I read your posts over and over again for them to "sink in" as much as possible! The problem with me is - and I don't know if that will make any sense - that I "know", in my mind, that I am a good person, a good translator, and that I deserve good things like finding a better job - but deep down, in my heart, I don't believe it at all, no matter how hard I try. How I wish I could have some kind of magic wand and make the pain, the sadness and the feeling of uselessness go away.

I think I didn't say so in my first post, but my being fired came as a total (and very unpleasant) surprise. My boss kept telling me I did a good job and worked efficiently - and then BAM, 7 days before the end of my probation period, she tells me they have to terminate my employment because I'm not "self-reliant enough". It was such a shock I didn't even think of asking her what she meant by that - so I sent her an email that night to ask her more details. All she said was "Like it was said in your termination letter, you didn't meet all the requirements for this job. Have a nice day."

I felt so bad.

Plus, my job search isn't going too well - I had 2 tests and one interview so far, but the 2 companies that made me pass those tests and this interview didn't get back to me. And when I call the places where I sent my résumé, more often than not, I have to talk to an answering machine. And of course they don't call me back. It feels just as if nobody cares, like I don't exist at all...

I guess I'll stop whining now... I just want it all to stop * : (

Thanks for letting me vent...

Elia

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket