Too lazy to quit being lazy?

iVillage Member
Too lazy to quit being lazy?
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 2:18pm
Hi!!

First time to this board :) This might be a bit long just to warn you :)

I have suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a little kid. I'll be 25 in Sept. When I was little my parents never took me to the doc, and now I can't afford to go myself. Heck, I can't even afford health insurance from work. Anyway, there are so many things that I want to change about my life. I am out of shape and about 10-15 lbs over weight. I know I have to exercises and change eating habits to get in shape and lose weight. I want to get out of debt and have a job I will enjoy. To do that I know I need to go to school to get a better job. I can't figure out how to go to school and not get even farther behind in bills. I want to be able to go out and not be afraid of being around a bunch of people (i get panic attacks now from that sometimes) I know I want to change, but I can never get myself up to do anything about it. I just feel tired all the time. I am too tired to get up and exercise for 20 min. I am too tired to get up and clean. I am too tired to even look for a better job. I dread going to work now. I just can't stop being lazy. My husband is the same way. He is tired of having low paying unfullfilling jobs. He is overweight but doesn't exercise either. How do we stop being lazy? Many people have said "just get up and do it." If it's that easy then why can't we do it?

Thanks,

RS

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 2:38pm
Hi there & welcome to the board.

I'll bet there are some folks here who can give you some tips to get motivated. I don't know what the secret it - because otherwise, I guess I'd also have lost this extra 10 lbs, too, LOL.

But - what is all boils down to... if we really, truly want it bad enough, we will do it. Stuff like that - exercise, going to school, etc... it's all stuff that only we are in control of. No one else can exercise for us, go to school for us.

How about writing down some of the things you want to do? And what the rewards will be. Even just one of them. Hang it up where you will see it every day.

I'm glad you found us, hope to see more of you here.

Julie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-07-2003 - 11:47pm
You are talking about procrastination and I fight with that every day.

If you want to go to school but work all day find some courses you can take at night. I am planning to work in the evenings so I can go to school during the day.

I too, want to lose 15 lbs. and I tell myself that every day while I am sitting in front of the t.v. When I am so fed up with how I look I will get my butt off the couch and work out. On occasion my husband and I go for walks together in the evening. We help motivate each other that way. We both quit smoking together in December. We need to do things together sometimes just to get some things done.

When you want it bad enough you will work for it.

Good Luck!