Why not give up

iVillage Member
Why not give up
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 2:31pm
I have never been so unsure of myself as I have been lately. What if I shouldn’t go into Psychology, but then I’m just screwed. I’m almost in tears because I can’t decide what I want to do. If I were smart and would have done good to start off then I wouldn’t be in this impossible situation. I have decided to take the GRE. But my problem now is what programs to apply for. I will probably never be able to get into a PhD program, which is the only programs that usually offer any financial assistance. I can’t feel like this much longer, I won’t last like this. I was thinking MA or a PsyD but they don’t really get any Financial Aid. Then there is the question of whether I should do experimental or Clinical. I would rather do clinical, but the programs are so competitive. I don’t want to be stuck behind a computer all day I want to be face to face with people and help them. Its funny that I can help others but when it comes to helping my self it doesn’t work. Why can’t I just be sure of my self and what I want to do. May be I should just quit, give up. What is the point?
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 4:00pm
Well....... I think it sounds like you are too smart, and too ambitious to just give up & quit.

Is there someone you trust, that you can talk to about all of this stuff, and sort it out? It is kind of confusing sounding (to me anyway, LOL). Maybe a teacher, or a counselor, or someone? You've got all these things & issues on your mind. Maybe to someone else, there will be some clearer pros & cons, or options that you don't know about.

Chin up hon - you're no dummy ;) I hope you are able to work this out soon so you don't have so much hanging over your head.

Hugs,Julie

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 4:14pm
Thank you so much for replying. I was in the middle of a panic attack which is very embarrassing to have at work. I've decided to sit down try to write everything out. and see what I can come up with. I think I will call my older sister and maybe talk to her about it all. I feel so stupid having to rely on others to feel good about my self and the situations in which I'm in. I shouldn't even be worrying about it right now I should be concentrating on the GRE's. Thanks, Jessica
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 12:56am
Hi Jessica.

I can understand your dilemna. There are so many options to think about when you're appling to psychology programs. It sounds like you've made the first choice. You decided that you want to work in theraputic treatment instead of focusing on just research. Once you've made this decision you still have a lot of options. Clinical or Counseling psychology. PsyD or PhD. This last option is usually made on the available of finding a school that offers a PsyD. Most school offer a traditional PhD even if you never palan to do any research.

The important thing to remember is to give yourself time to consider all of your options. Don'try to rush through making a decision. If you really feel that you just HAVE to apply for a program this year, you might consider applying to a Masters Program. Having a masters in psychology will increase your chances of being accepted in a PhD or PsD program. If you really want to aplly for a clinical or counseling doctorate program you will have to wait until the fall. The deadline for applying for fall admission is the Janurary of the year that you would be apllying. Application interviews for each program are usually held in Feburary and early March.Programs inform you about whether you have been accepted in the program by early April. If you are accepted in more than one program you have aboput 3 weeks to decide which you will attend. Once your make a decision, that decison is binding. You can't change your mind and decide to go to another program. All Clinical and Couseling doctoral programs only allow admission in the fall of the year that you applied. You are not permitted to start the program during the spring semester. If you apply this fall then you be starting the program in the fall of next year.

Applying to a doctoral program is a long process. Before you start the good thing is to talk to your teachers to see what information they have about individual programs. If you are interested in finding out about what programs are offered in your area the Journal of the American Pychological Association lists programs that are available in Clinical and Counseling programs across the country. That's a good place to start. Once you see what programs are available in your area or in a area that you are willing to travel to, the next step is to visit the websites of the schools that you are interested in and find out about the person that you should contact to find out about the description of the program and the requirements for applying to the program.

As I said it's a long process. Now is a good time to begin to find out about different programs and requesting information about appling to different programs. Another important thing about applying to doctoral programs. Most programs require that you take the Psychology GRE in addition to the regular GRE. You should contact the GRE testing center to find out what dates the PGRE is scheduled in your area. There are fewer testing sites for the PGRE so you need to register for the test no later that September because all of the doctoral programs require that they receive you application and test scores be the beginning of January of next year.

So a good place to start is by alking to your professors. Then try to find out information you need to start the application process.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help you with any additonal info about applying for programs.

Renee

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 10:33am
make an appointment with a career counselor at your school or in town. Talk to your pysch profs. Better yet, see if you can contact alumnae who are working in the psychology field. Most schools have a list of alumnae who are willing to help out new alums or students. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

hugs,

benita
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-23-2003 - 11:25pm
Wow, your posting sounds familar. I was a Psychology major too. However, it never felt quite right to me, couldn't quite understand why. Most of the students in my classes were younger than me and honestly most of them didn't have a lick of common sense. I thought, "I don't want to be associated with these people". Most of them were going into the field for some reasons such as.."I can't wait until my therapist sees I am his equal", or for money, or what they perceived as prestige, etc. Anyway, in my opinion, all the wrong reasons. I once had a professor tell us, that most people go into psychology because they are searching for their own answers. I felt she was right. She is also the head of that department at my university. She also was the only professor that actually got off of the campus once in a while and lived in the "real world".

I don't know what your reasons have been for choosing the field of psychology, but you are far from "screwed". As I'm sure you already know, your MA does not have to be in the same field as your BA.

Because I too did not want to sit behind a computer all day and wanted to work with people that actually wanted to make improvements in their lives but didn't have the income to afford a therapist, I changed my major. I still have a minor in psychology, though my major is a functional major and I don't need a minor. I went into the study of Social Work...not Sociology, but Social Work. If I continue on to a MA, I can open my own practice, however, I don't want to do that. I could also continue on to a MA in psychology. That has crossed my mind.

Have you considered a double major?

I thought about a MA in Gerontology, since it is the fastest growing population in the United States, but it is a Sociology Masters.

There are many areas a Social Worker can practice that a psychologist would practice. In my state, a BA in psychology does not allow you to practice on your own and would require a MA anyway. Either degree would require a MA to private counsel. With a BA in Social Work, I will be using a lot of psychology anyway. With it as a minor, it can only enhance my resume', as would yours.

You also mentioned your grades. When I was a psych major, my grades were average, and I had been reading psychology books since I was 11....it didn't matter. But when I switched over to Social Work, it fit. Something inside of me relaxed and I felt like I had finally made the right choice. The only way I can describe it is.....it fits. Odd. Anyway, due to the naturalness or the love of the subject matter, I am now on the Deans list. That is something I have never achieved in my scholastic life.

Anyway...don't give up and don't quit. You can never replace the advantages an education allows you in life. Just take off the blinders, look outside the box and talk to an advisor in your university, or a career counselor. I know what you are talking about when you say you don't want to compete, when you can't help yourself. It sounds like you're in the right area, just not in the right spot yet. So start treating yourself like you would a client, taking it step by step, thinking it through until....it fits.

Blessings.