Friday 5 - 7/25

iVillage Member
Friday 5 - 7/25
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 9:27am
After my recent trip it got me to thinking of all the differences in our communities. As I mentioned above my town doesn't have many of the fast food places I see advertised on TV. I would like to know about your community. Mine sometimes tends to be known as 'stuck-up'. We don't allow for the big '40 million sold' signs on McDonalds or Burger Kings. The only BK has been trying to install a drive-up window but neighbors object to the possibility of traffic, etc. So, what I want to know is:

1. How many fast food places are in your town and which ones?

2. Are they allowed to have their big signs?

3. How many stores (K-Mart, Wal-Mart) are in your town and which ones?

4. Hairstyles - trendy or outdated? (big 80's hair or stick straight w/bangs)

5. Clothing - trendy or outdated?

Have fun with it!

Bne

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
In reply to: bennie99
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 11:19am
These are fun. I live in a suburb of Chicago.... so, let's see:

1. How many fast food places are in your town and which ones? Many: McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Boston Market, Wendy's.

2. Are they allowed to have their big signs? Yes, most of them are.

3. How many stores (K-Mart, Wal-Mart) are in your town and which ones? Again, we have them all.. Target, Kmart, Walmart.

4. Hairstyles - trendy or outdated? (big 80's hair or stick straight w/bangs) Very trendy. You'll see some 80's mullets here & there.... but they stick out like a sore thumb!

5. Clothing - trendy or outdated? Again - trendy for 99%.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 2:14pm
Even though I pretty much already told you about where I live I'll still answer my own questions. (LOL)

1. How many fast food places are in your town and which ones?

We only have a handful, 2 McDonald's, 1 Burger King, 1 Popeye's, a few Subways and Domino's Pizza and I just remembered, we have a Taco Bell and a Dairy Queen. We have more mom & pop owned businesses and diners.

2. Are they allowed to have their big signs?

Nope, not allowed in our county.

3. How many stores (K-Mart, Wal-Mart) are in your town and which ones?

There are 2 Wal-Mart's in Norwalk which is about 2 towns away, maybe 10 miles. We have very few discount stores like these in our area. We used to have Woolworths and Caldors but they both either closed or went bankrupt. It's very frustrating, we only have malls and stand-alone stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylors, Filenes. I can't wait for the Target to open!

4. Hairstyles - trendy or outdated? (big 80's hair or stick straight w/bangs)

We tend to be fairly trendy.

5. Clothing - trendy or outdated?

Again, we tend to be trendy.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 8:31pm
Happy Friday Everyone!

Here's my 5!

1. My town sounds a little like yours, Bennie. Most of the people don't like the idea of fast food places or retail stores like Walmart in my town. So no, we don't really have fast food. We had a Duchess, which didn't last, and we have Pizza Hut, but that's it. No Mcdonalds or BK's.

2. No Big signs here.

3. I guess I answered this one already, but no we don't have Kmart or Walmart. We used to have a Caldor's before they went out of business.

4. Most people in my town tend to be big on appearances so yes a lot of them try to have the most recent style.

5. Clothes also are important to a good deal of people in my town.

My town is very pretty and nice, but I think that there are still a lot of shallow, snobby people here. I'm sure that there are some everywhere, but I think we have more then our share here. I'd move out of this town if it werent for my family and my job being here. Maybe eventually I will.

Well hope everyone has a great weekend.