Work Woes - HELP!!!

iVillage Member
Work Woes - HELP!!!
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 10:48am
Hi everyone, I have not posted in some time but now I need to. I need some feedback and some sound advice. Here is the situation.....

I don't like my job and haven't for some time now; I think I have mentioned that here before. But I feel mistreated and not appreciated at all here and it is starting to really get to me. I have a college degree like most everyone else here but am still second to the lowest position in the office after a year and three months. I apply to other positions in my department but have not been interviewed once for another, higher paying post. Yesterday I was TOLD that I have been put on a committee to screen and hire a new person to a position above me, one that I should be considered for but now can't even apply for since I was put on the committee. It is so maddening!

I am thinking that if I am not qualifed to be promoted then I am not qualified to help hire someone else. I want to refuse to be on the committee and inform them that I am actively looking for another position elsewhere. I am doing that but nothing has turned up (I live in a smaller town) and I do need a job to pay my bills.

A sidenote here... I do everything that is asked of me promptly and efficiently. I am cooperative and helpful when I can be.

So, the question is: Do I say something and stand up for myself or do I try to be thankful that I have a job and keep quiet?

PLEASE HELP!!!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Gandhi

iVillage Member
In reply to: wredd
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 12:47pm
Please pause before you say anything to your boss. I don't think it's a good idea to tell them you are looking for a new job. I know you are upset but don't do anything sudden. Try to blow off some steam first.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking, maybe sitting on this committee can be a positive thing for you. I totally understand your thinking, 'if I'm not qualified for the job then I'm not qualifie for this committee,' but maybe you can turn it around to your advantage.

Cool off during lunch and hang in there a little longer. It's always best to have a new job lined up so keep looking.I'm heading out for lunch, I just wanted to reply to your posting real quick. Let me think of some options for you.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
In reply to: wredd
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 5:06pm
Geez...sounds like what happened to my mother-in-law. She was told that she had to train her new boss. She no longer works there and I don't know who trained the new boss. She works for the state now and loves her job.

Also a dear friend of mine who worked for the corporation of McDonalds Restaurants (some are private owners, some are company stores). She wanted to go further up the ladder and into the corporation. They denied her any advancement with the reasoning that she was too important in the stores. Seems finding "good help" in the stores (restaurants) is more difficult than finding personnel for the corporation. She went to school and is now a massage therapist. Perhaps you have become irreplacable in your job. I found in my experiences (am in school full-time now, re-training), the better a job I did, the more likely I would have to continue doing it. I have also found it easier to find a job when you have a job. So I would suggest that if YOU want to find another job, then don't quit where you are now, until you find where you will be going. Unemployment is at it's height right now. In the meantime, do what is comfortable to you. If you try to behave against your normal grain, it will only cause you more frustration and resentment. Be proud of what you do but keep your eyes open for other jobs. Sometimes volunteer work can feed the soul and provide contacts.

I have included a few interesting sites you might want to visit.

www.careergames.com

www.bls.gov

www.wetfeet.com