Well, there you go . . .

iVillage Member
Well, there you go . . .
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 12:27pm
Over the weekend I was feeling blah, what's the purpose of life, etc., and if you read Jen or Riparalegal's posting where I replied you'll see I was feeling bummed and depressed. I have the answer why - I was PMSing. I wasn't expecting Aunt Flo or as my friend calls it, The Curse, until this weekend but it just came today a few days early. It totally caught me by surprise today.

I HATE THIS!

It's so unfair that women go through PMS every month. It's not to say that I won't still have some of these feelings after I'm done with my period but they are always intensified just before. Now that I know why I was feeling so depressed I can sort of brush off these feelings and move on.

I wish men would go through this for a few months just so they can understand why our moods change so suddenly. I suppose this is a silly questions but does this happen to you too? Do you notice crazy changes that don't happen on normal days?

As I said above, I still wonder all the 'whys' but just knowing that my moodiness and depression over the weekend is sort of temporary makes me feel a little better. I hope everyone's having a good day.

Hugs,

Ben

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 1:21pm
Hey Ben!

I totally agree with you. I'm the same way when it comes to PMS'ing. I went to my doctor about a year ago because it was getting worse ... turns out I have PMDD which I now take something for and it helps. I didn't take it a couple of months ago just to see if my "symptoms" had improved but it was really bad so I went back to taking it again. It's not bad now and I don't feel so out of control during that time!

It'd be nice for a man to experience for just one month what it's like for us ... then again, one cramp and they'd be doubled over. Amazing the difference in what men and women can tolerate for pain!

~~Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 1:39pm
Oh Ben, we must have had the same weekend! I was so depressed, so blue! The run ins with my ex didn't help, just drudged up emotions and feelings I thought were long gone! Then my dogs got into a fight (they ahve never done that before) and it scared me to death! I lost it, cried for almost an hour! Just spent the weekend home and feeling like an emotional wreck! Wasn't until I was looking for something sweet did it hit me, PMS was raging! I think we all go through it at times but sometimes, when we really do have some issues to deal with, everything just gets amplified and it is awful! I used to never have these swings when that time of the month was coming, it is just in the last 2 years or so and I hate it! But what I hate even more is men who think we use it as an excuse! I wish they could feel the dread and sadness we do at times, all because of hormones, blah!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 2:08pm
Ohhh yeah. Bennie, I swear, I am a different person for a good 5 days before hand. I feel crabby, cranky, fat, disgusting, and don't even want to talk to people. It's really bad. And my face breaks out horribly too - so that makes me even more depressed. Actually - I have a doctor's appointment next week, and I'm going to mention it to him.

Yeah - we are SO LUCKY to get to deal with that every month, hmm? Blah!!! LOL!

Hugs, J

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 2:41pm
Okay, so we are all in agreement on this subject. (My face breaks out too and it happened last week but I didn't make the connection until today because I'm early this month.)

One thing that throws me is - I don't get camps anymore. Since I've been on my Arthrtis mediation it's sooo strong that I don't get those warning cramps reminding me to wear a little something extra so I don't have an accident. Not getting the cramps is a plus but at the same time they are a good reminder to know - it's coming!

Hopefully by the weekend my depression has lifted and I'm in a much better mood. This moodiness started with me maybe 5 years ago. Before that I didn't experience monthly depression. I guess it's all a part of getting (slightly) older.

So, what's next? Will we still get depressed each month when we go through menopause or will it bring on it's own style of depression.

Oh the joys of being a woman.

Harumph!

Ben

(happily passing through PMS even though it may not seem like it)

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 5:01pm
Just finished watching Dr. Phil. He was talking about this subject. Lots of good info. I take a suppliment coctail to curb the hormonal issues. Works for me...

The joys of being a woman ;-)

Photobucket 
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 5:40pm
ROFLOL....I loved your posting.

Sorry to hear about you feeling "blah" though. But with your good attitude I can't help but think it will change.

I am menopausal so I deal with this hormonal thing on a daily basis. Enjoy your once a month event as long as you can.

As for men going through this.....I say THANK GOD they do not!!! I don't think I could handle both of us doing this!! Can you imagine??? He would be in bed for those days and I would be stuck with doing everything whether I was hormonal too or not....NO, NO, NO....please don't wish this on us.....LOL

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 3:54am
Hi Bennie.

I can speak to you from the OTHER side. I had a hyterectomy 5 years ago so I don't have to deal with the "Curse" anymore. The thing is that even when I had periods I didn't have noticeable PMS. I had ups and downs TROUGHOUT the month. One day everything would be fine. The sun was shining, my work was great, I felt great, then WHAM the bules came out of no where. Now it's the same way. I guess now I've learned to treasure the good times even more.

O yeah, about wishing that men had to experience the same thing. I think that would make the lives of women a living HELL. Men can't even have a cold without expecting you to drop everyhing and wait on them hand and foot. Can you imagine what it would be like if they had to live through cramps and PMS? Even if they had to live through the same thing that we did they would say that they had to suffer much more than any woman ever did. So in addition to trying to take care of ourselves we would also have to take care of them. Essentially men are selfish creatures who expect the whole world to revolve around their needs. Thank God that they don't have a monthly reason to be even more selfish that they already are.

Renee