Do any shy,quiet people belong to a gym?

iVillage Member
Do any shy,quiet people belong to a gym?
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 8:07am
I am seriously considering joining a gym. I need to do more and not be afraid to be around strangers, but I am so afraid of joining a gym because I think I'm going to look stupid. I'm not overweight, just want to get toned up but I don't have anyone to go with and I ust feel like all eyes will be on me or else just go once and never go again. I also want to take classes (like aerobics) but feel like an outcast because I won't be able to talk to anyone and don't want to take a class where we need to have a partner. Has anyone gone through this and succeeded?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 11:07am
midwesternwoman,

I belong to a gym and i'm shy. At first, i was a little self concious because there were so many people around and i feared they were staring at me. But as i kept on going, i realized, that, well people go to the gym to focus on themselves. No one is thinking about the next person on the treadmill. It took me a while to accept this, but now i go to the gym with full confidence. But i usually keep to myself, not antisocial, but its hard for me to make new friends, and i feel im at the gym for personal reasons, and i don't really look to meet people there. I guess thats part of my meeting new people problem. I have to be in a certain mood and prepare myself well to meet people and it takes me a lot of effort, so i see the gym as a little escape for myself, some me time. But if you do want to meet people, i suggest you do take an aerobics class and just gradually ease yourself into a conversation with the person next to you..I guarantee most everyone else there is new to the class and won't really know anyone. And everyone else is there for the same reason, to aerobisize (is that even how you spell it?? haha)so i'm sure you will find a nice partner with ease. Hope this helps : )
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 3:03pm
I'm a fairly shy person, definitely self-conscious, and I belong to a gym. I was nervous about it all at first but you do get used to it, especially if you focus on why you're there - for yourself. My gym is all-inclusive but if you are really worried about it you might try joining a gym that's just for women. A lot of women at my office go to a women-only gym and say they are much more comfortable with that. That might be a way to ease into it.

Take Care.