Advice please

iVillage Member
Advice please
Wed, 10-22-2003 - 3:47pm
Its been a long time since I’ve been here. For those of you that may not remember me, I’m a College senior in psychology. I’m having some major self-esteem problems. I just got into the psychology honorary despite my low cumulative GPA, my psych was well above the requirement. I had to have a professor write me a recommendation to counter my bad cum. GPA. I got in and my first thought was “I don’t deserve this” the only reason I got in was because my prof wrote an outstanding recommendation. I didn’t really do anything. I now have to wear the emblem around my neck but everytime someone says good job or congrats I think to my self “I’m such a fraud.” I have been trying to convince myself otherwise but there is still this feeling deep down that makes me feel horrible. I just don’t think I’m smart. Like when I received a 100 on my first Behavioral neuroscience exam my first thought was anyone could have done it if they studied as hard as I did. I also put it up to pure luck. I just wish I could stop having these self defeating thoughts. I want to do something great m\with my life, but how can I when I don’t have faith in myself. I’ve tried affirmations, and countering my negative thoughts but it just doesn’t work. Any advice? Thanks for listening to me.

Jessica

iVillage Member
In reply to: jessicasue
Wed, 10-22-2003 - 4:47pm

Hi Jessica - I remember you, welcome back!

Well it sounds like you are doing a great job.