No one comes up and talks to me!

iVillage Member
No one comes up and talks to me!
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 11:29am
I've been a member of a gym for about 3 months now and just this past weekend took a group class for the first time. The rest of the time I've just been doing weights by myself. There weren't any guys in this class, but I thought maybe I'd meet some women who I could become friends with. I see other people going up to others they don't know and talking with them and no one ever somes up to me and I'm too shy to go up to anyone. I must just have something about me that says stay away because I never have people come up and talk to me. I must not look friendly although I do try to smile, I'm just not one of those people who walk around laughing and have a huge smile on their face all the time. To me that is just so fake.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 12:09pm

Hi & welcome to the board. You know, it's funny you posted this, because I was just thinking about this exact same thing!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 1:34pm

It was the same at my old gym, New York Sports Club.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 3:28pm

I know how you feel on that one for me I dont walk around smiling actually friends of mine have told me that when I am not talking or laughing I look like a total b**ch and you know what I do look like one when I am just sitting there listening or whatever it is that I a doing but that is just me that is my face cant help it, I am not shy at all I have no problems talking with people the field tht I work in I have to be able to speak with alot of different people throughout my day so that isnt a problem with me, it is the impression that I give off before I open up my mouth I have people tell me they thought I was a you know what until I finally spoke with them and I tell them that its okay I get it alot.

Maybe if you tried to put yourself out ther in the class ask someone to help you with something make sure you are doing a move right that may help to start up a conversation or if you are really good at this particualr class that you are taking maybe you could offer to help a beginers class out meet people that way.

I wish that i had more ideas for you but today I just cant get my head on straight.

Good luck

and dont worry things will workout for you

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2003 - 7:48am
I get that same thing all the time! I'll be out with friends and guys will come up and talk with them and their first comment to me is "smile". I feel like I am, but apparently I look angry. I'm sorry, but I can't go around giggling and smiling all the time. I think it's so fake! Of course as soon as a guy tells me that I get so upset and say some smart ass remark to him and tht shuts him up.
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2003 - 8:40am

I'm the same way.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso