I AM SUCH A MORON!!

iVillage Member
I AM SUCH A MORON!!
Thu, 12-04-2003 - 2:20pm
I just moved into an apartment building about 1 month ago. I was living in one previously that was bad and everyone there had families of 6 living in a one bedroom-bad area. This one is very nice and filled with couples or younger single people. Last night I noticed a Uhaul in front of the apartment and a good looking guy moving into the apartment right next to me. I went out for a walk and noticed his license plate was from out of state and he had no one helping him. Came back in as he was going out and just said hi. I almost offered to help, but didn't. I sat in my bedroom with the lights off looking out the blinds to get a better look at him and the stuff he had. I hope he didn't see me. Also looked throgh the peephole everytime I heard the door. Just this afternoon I went home at lunch to grab something I forgot and he was still moving stuff in. I parked a little ways behind the Uhaul and went into my apartment without saying anything. He had another guy who I think also lives in the complex helping him. Then after they brought something into his apartment I dashed out when the door closed behind them because I didn't know what to say. Then they came out maybe 15 steps behind me and I could hear them talking and I really wanted to turn around and say something and just hopped in my car and drove away. 3 times I could've said something but didn't! I'm sure he won't make the effort to talk to me now seeing as how I seemed to purposely be ignoring him, when I wanted more than anything to strike up a conversation with him.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2003 - 2:52pm
I know how you feel. Same thing happened at my old apartment complex. REALLY cute guy moved in next door. I was terrified to speak to him for the longest time. Then he started talking to me when we would walk past me on the stairs. We ended up becoming good friends.

GO TO THE PARTY!!! That's an excuse to talk to him right there! Heck, on your way to the party, knock on his door,s ee if he wants to walk you over there.

Here's some easy conversation starters:

-"I like your car. My cousin got one just like it a couple years ago and I was SOOO jealous." (a lot of guys like to talk about their cars. Assuming he has a newer car)

-"So you're from *insert state he's from here* I know someone that lived there." or "I've always wanted to go there." etc. (You might be lying, so what. He'll never know)

-"So how long ago did you move here? What city are you from?" etc. He might be flattered that you even noticed his license plates from another state!

Just start simple, once you get a conversation started, even if it's small talk about the weather, it's easy from there.

Good luck!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2003 - 3:15pm
I am mortified to speak to him! Plus if I mention stuff like about his car and I noticed where he was from, he'll probably think i'm stalking him already. I always think that. If he weren't so good looking I bet I wouldn't have a problem talking to him. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is go to a party when he's tired from moving and just getting settled in. I just can't approach someone like that...just can't without looking and feeling awkward.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-04-2003 - 4:00pm
Then it looks like you made your decision about the party. I totally understand what it's like to be shy, but I just don't understand how someone can just sit and watch their life go by. You talk about running into the man of your dreams, but that's never going to happen if you hide in your apartment.

Ok, this guy is too attractive for you to talk to. Fine. Go out somewhere else, talk to someone else. Don't waste your life wishing for something. Go out and get it.

I don't mean to sound tough, I'm sorry. But try to see this from the outside.

Good luck