People don't know how to act around me

iVillage Member
People don't know how to act around me
Tue, 12-09-2003 - 7:29am
I went out with a bunch of people from work and their significant others this past weekend. When some of the guys left they went down the line and hugged some of the girls. When they got to me they weren't quite sure what to do and I just got an awkward little wave. I must give off this weird vibe. It's happened before too where guys just instinctively show some affection to other girls and then I'm lucky if I get a wave. Usually they just look the other way and run out the door. We had all been drinking, which you would think would have made me less inhibited, but even then I'm still very reserved. I also tried to have more conversations with a couple of other girls who are girlfriends of my co workers and I always felt like I was intruding in their conversation. I mean I play volleyball with one of them and the other one has subbed a few times, but yet I don't feel like I was wanted in their conversation. In fact they both left to go to another bar by themselves and didn't even say good bye to me or ask me to come along. I hate feeling like the odd one out!
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2003 - 5:18pm
I don't think they purposely are snubbing you. If you aren't as open with people, then they should not think its okay to touch you. That's a sign of respect. It's happened to me before too, but I don't like guys hugging me or touching me easily, although I do like men.

You sound just on the introverted side like me. It takes some time and effort to learn how to connect with people more. That's what I am learning now too. It's hard.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2003 - 8:25am

Some people are just plain rude.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microso

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2003 - 10:40am
I mean they weren't mean about it but I'm so sensitive to people's feelings that I could tell they didn't really want me there. They turned toward me so as not to leae me out of the conversation, but I got that kind of fake smile when I walked up to them and then when I did comment on something (they were talking about painting a room in one of their houses) I said I liked it too when walls were another color than white and asked if they had seen the show "Trading Spaces" on TLC. They kind of gave me a blank stare and then said that they had. I just know that they didn't want me to be in their conversation. This is the reason why I don't meet people. I wait for someone to come up to me but then no one does because apparently I always look mad. Even when I think I'm smiling, apparently I'm not. Then when I make the effort to go up to someone I get looks like I'm interrupting them. I can't win!