Anybody else"too good" or "too nice"?

iVillage Member
Anybody else"too good" or "too nice"?
Mon, 12-15-2003 - 3:55pm
I am not one to be confrontational. I even had a co worker of mine ask me if I ever get mad. She flies off the handle at just about anything and makes huge deals of little things. Yet she can be "oh so pleasant" to the head of the company or upper management. They all love her because she's outgoing. I'm nice, but I'm too nice that I get walked on by others. I don't get mad because I always want to keep things good between other people. I've always done the right thing. I even had a teacher tell me in a report card when I was in grade school that I knew why I was in school because my parents made it clear to me. I always pleased the teahcers, never screwed off. I never even went on field trips in high school for certain classes because that meant that I would miss my other classes and I never wanted to have to make up homework. We had "senior skip" day in high school and in one of my classes it was only seniors and I was the only one in class who showed up, so it was cancelled. Do you find that being good or nice has held you back from experiencing things? I often think that if I was more "living on the edge" that I'd have more people who want to be around me, but who wants to be around someone who is so predictablbe.
iVillage Member
I used to be like that. I still am at times. I let my b/f use me like a whipping psot when he's had a bad day all the time. That is SO not good. I was always like that at work. One day, i just coulnd't take it anymore. I totally went off on everyone. I thought sure I was fired. Wouldn't you know it, I gained some serious respect that day. My boss told me it was unprofessional to throw fits like that, but that it's ok for me to assert myself from time to time. He even said he was proud of me for making a stand.

The best part of this is, it's easy now! I have almost no trouble asserting myself to people. From time to time, I still crawl inside myself and take the beating, though.

Really once you get past the shock of doing it once, it almost comes naturally.

I"m not suggesting loosing it in front of everyone. Try standing up to someone, just once.You'll be amazed what it does for you.

Good luck, HUGS!

Nikki

iVillage Member

I definitely have had to work on not letting people step on me.